Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.DOT files in Office XP are not appearing in Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB55185

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2005
US
Hi everyone,

I am trying to add our corporate letterhead and our corporate fax letter(HMIFax.dot and HMILetterhead.dot) to our Human Resources director's computer. I put them both in the Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033 folder where all of the Office default fax and letter pages seem to reside.

The problem is, when I open up WordXP and click on New Document, I am not able to see these HMI custom .dot forms. However, I can see the standard default Office forms that are in that folder.

Am I missing a step? Are custom forms supposed to go into a different folder? Where do I need to put these custom .DOT forms so that we are able to see and open them in WordXP when clicking on New Document?

Thanks much for any help
Darren B

Which version please?

Also, go to Tools > Options > File Locations and check for both User templates and Workgroup templates. You can put them in the Workgroup templates.

Gerry

Sorry. This is for Microsoft Office XP Professional. She was using Office2K on a Windows2K machine, and I just replaced her old computer with WindowsXP and OfficeXP Pro.

thanks

I assume when you say "click on New Document" you are, in fact, actually going File > New - NOT using the new document icon.

Gerry

Fumei,

Ok I just came back from her office and here is where I am at. My apologies. She is using Office2003. When I click on File>New it opens up the Document Task Pane to the right of the Word window. In this window, under the heading NEW: it shows options such as Blank Documents, XML Documents, Web Page, etc....

This is where I am trying to get the HMIFax and HMILetterhead templates to appear. I put both documents in the User and Workgroup folders, but when I close Word and reopen it, the HMIFax and HMILetterhead do not appear under NEW: in the Document Task Pane.

I appreciate your help,
Darren B

Ok, let's keep going. When you get the New Document Task Pane, there should be in the list (New from template), an item General Templates. When you clcick that, do you see the templates?

You can add either documents, or templates, to the Task Pane programatically. I don't think it is possible to do it without code.

Her is how you do it with code.

Code:
Application.NewDocument.Add FileName:="C:\Documents and Settings\gerry.knight\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Notes.dot", _
    Section:=[b]msoNewfromTemplate[/b], DisplayName:="Notes"

This adds the item "Notes" into the New from template" part of the Task Pane. Clicking it will create a new document from the template file Notes.dot"

1. The path to the template file can be anything. So you can point this to any valid location, not just the Templates location Word normally looks for.

2. You can add documents to the Task Pane by changing:

msoNewfromTemplate

to:

msoNew

2. You can remove the item from the Task Pane with:

Code:
Application.NewDocument.[b]Remove[/b] FileName:="C:\Documents and Settings\gerry.knight\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Notes.dot", _
    Section:=[b]msoNewfromTemplate[/b], DisplayName:="Notes"

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back