Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dos window on nt server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carguy

Programmer
Apr 10, 2001
US
hi people:
has anyone experienced this situation and if so..please let me know how you went about it... we have migrated to nt server from novell 3.12 and am having problems with the processing of cobol programs in the dos mode...one workstation runs fine but as soon as i strart the second machine (same program) the server slows to a crawl...as far as workstations...we are currently using winnt 4.0 and win2k. no anti-virus running on test stations....we are mapped to the server..ex: "f: is \\ufcwdc1\sys1..etc...cobol isam files...programs are running on the work station from the server...dos environment is set at 4096..also tried 8192 on test stations...also tried caching on server settings...first test machine run very fast ,but as soon as we start second machine it all slows to a crawl...files are shared on server...etc..all out of ideas!!!! thanks again for your reply........carguy....
im at

Hi Carguy,

Don't want you to think you're being ignored. I don't have an answer, anbody?

Regards, Jack.

The only thing I have heard is that files need to be marked as 'shared' within Novell - but I assume that's done as
it runs - even slow

Jan

wow - I completely misunderstod ...
You are on NT - language barrier or am I not reading
carefully?

Jan

Hi,

Perhaps it doesn't help a thing, because it seems that you have some filesharing problems but....

- experiment with the dos box with a full screen or not a full screen. Switch with Alt-Enter
- try the statement FORCEDOS
- In the application, perhaps it is possible to close the file and open it for every interaction.... Sometimes that is the only cure.
- try to look up in your COBOL manual from your manufacturer what possibilities there are to do something with locking, etc. Perhaps you have a commit in your COBOL environment...?
Try all possible actions of NT server on files....

Tell us what helped you...

Regards,

Crox

Wow - Finally someone with the same problem. We have just migrated a site from Netware to NT 4 and have exactly the same issues. The only thing I would add is that even the Cobol apps run badly, the server itself does not break a sweat (i.e CPU utilisation etc, is next to nothing).

I'll get thew developer to try the things that Crox has mentioned. It sure is frustrating to see you new Whizz-bang server running so poorly when you'd think it should scream along.

Is this likely to be an issue with NT (given that it was OK with Netware), or is it an issue with Cobol ?

Hi All, Hi Carguy,

Did you (or anyone) ever work out a resolution to this problem)? It's driving me nuts....

hi jag500..
well, after several weeks on and off the phone with microsoft, they as much told us your on your own and that they have no solutions...so we will rewrite our programs in vb....sorry and good luck with yours.

Hi Carguy,

Yeah, I had a talk to MS as well - but it looks as though I got just as far as you !

The customer is currently testing on Win2k, with the idea that they will migrate to that platform if all goes well. I still believe there is an answer out there, but my hopes of finding it are fading....

How about a potential solution?

What version of RM? Have you contacted Liant?

I found that Liant has novell optimizations - and they work well.

First (Easiest) go into the system settings on EVERY workstation and under Performance/Disk Access/Troubleshooting and "Disable new file sharing semantics".

See if that helps.

If not - logoff all but two work stations. On these two:

Make sure you UNINSTALL all netware support.

Load only Windows networking and under that, install ONLY TCP/IP and the Windows TCP/IP network client.

See if this helps.

Next - if it does NOT - Install NetBUI - I found NetBUI necessary for some things, but it really slows down a Windows 2000 network.

Let me know the results here. Thanks!

I have a question, why was there a change from NT to novell? Novell is a load of rubbish (sorry, a personal opinion expressed by myself and about twenty of my colleagues in the same department).
bruce21.jpg

I too am curious - did any of the suggestions I posted help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back