Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS utility for NTFS drives? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KerryL

Technical User
May 7, 2001
US
It looks like I'm going to have to reinstall XP on my C: drive and I'm looking for a way to save some data.

Does anyone know of a utility that would allow me to copy, move, or rename folders on an NTFS drive?

NTFS.com has has a utility that allows me to read the drive and see the contents, and even copy the data to a: or a network drive, but my home PC isn't connected to a network drive.

has some NTFS/DOS utilities but I couldn't really tell if any of them would allow me to rename folders or move data around on the same drive.

Anyone know of such a utility?

Thanks,
KerryL

KerryL - sysinternals commercial sister site winternals has an update version of ntfsdos - but it costs.

Presume this is follow up to your other post. Best option would be to slave drive in another machine - if you haven't access to one, do you know someone who would let you do this. Particularly as you don't really know extent of the damage.

PS. On the recovery console problem - you could try one of the utilities which reset NT/2k/XP passwords - eg, (if it can find your installation), then see if you can load recovery console using the new password.

I do have access to a second PC. If I pull the HD out of that one and connect it as a slave, will the utility recognize that it's there?

Remember, I can't boot up into XP so the Plug/Play feature won't automatically recognize the new component. Will I have to do something for the PC to "see" the extra HD?

If the second PC is running NT/2k/XP it should automatically recognise your problem hard drive and mount it with a drive letter (assuming the problems with the drive don't prevent this).

If its running 9x/ME - you'll need to visit sysinternals again - This will allow 98 to read ntfs filestore.

The status of the operating system on this drive is immaterial when its loaded as slave. Its the master drive's operating system that's running things.

Yes, the drive on the other PC is also running XP, but I'm not sure I follow you completely. (Just to clarify my questions, HD1 = original C:, HD2 = drive from 2nd PC.)

If I connect HD2 as a second drive how do I bring the PC up with Windows XP off HD2? Will I need to change the bios so it boots from HD2?

Then, assuming I can get into the HD2 version of XP, and it sees HD1, how do I then go about copying the data off of HD1, especially if the data resides in user account folders that are not shared?

Put HD1 into the second machine (the working one) as a slave drive.

Oh, I see. (DUH!) Sorry about the brain fart.

But won't I still have trouble accessing the data if it resides under its own XP user accounts? Or can I then go to the command prompt and get to the folders that way?

I apologize for my confusion, but I'm in unchartered waters.

You should be able to access the data, and there is always this:
Two other things worth looking at are Knoppix and ECBD. Both are freeware and provide access to NTFS volumes to copy them to CD, across a network, etc. See this link and do a little exploring:
For ECBD:

FYI bcastner & wolluf:

Using your suggestions, I was able to save the data from my original drive. I connected it to a second PC as a slave, then used the Microsoft KB article bcastner provided to gain ownership of all the files and move them to a neutral folder. Then I re-installed XP.

There are still some problems. For instance, when the PC boots up it asks which XP operating system I want to start (it apparently thinks the original install is still there), and my DSL software is producing errors because it was there before XP. I'm also having trouble with Roxio.

But that's no big deal. I'm going to save my data off to a couple of CDRW's, then format C: and start from scratch. The data was my biggest concern, and you guys gave me the opportunity to save it.

Thanks very much. Stars all around! :)

KerryL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back