Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS Shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisps

Programmer
Sep 28, 2006
US
hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I am intending on implementing the answer to this in C++ if necessary.

I have a script which needs to 'cd' to a directory in order to run some commands from there (clearcase requires that that is the current directory, crap I know). You cannot have a UNC directory as the current working directory under DOS.

this directory is mapped to a share \\127.0.0.1\views on every machine. However the 'real' directory could be anywhere e.g. c:\local_views or d:\myviews

Is there any way I can query the \\127.0.0.1\views and get from it the relevant local directory e.g. d:\myviews.

If I there is a windows API for this I can write a utility to do this in C++, although I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks,

this did the trick

Code:
	int iRc = 1;
	HKEY hKey = NULL;

if(argc == 2)
	{
		if(RegOpenKeyEx(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\lanmanserver\\Shares", 0, KEY_READ, &hKey) == ERROR_SUCCESS)
		{
			char szDescription[2048];
			DWORD dwSize = sizeof(szDescription);
			if(RegQueryValueEx(hKey, argv[1], NULL, NULL, (BYTE*)szDescription, &dwSize) == ERROR_SUCCESS)
			{
				//parse description
				char* ptr = szDescription;
				while(strlen(ptr))
				{	
					if(strnicmp(ptr, "Path", 4) == 0)
					{
						printf("%s", ptr + 5);
						iRc = 0;
						break;
					}
					ptr += strlen(ptr) + 1;	
				}

if(iRc)
				{
					printf("Share found but not associated with a path\n");
				}
			}
			else 
			{
				printf("could not read registry value for share <%s>, Error <%d>", argv[1], GetLastError());
			}

RegCloseKey(hKey);
		}
		else
		{
			printf("Could not open key HKLM\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\lanmanserver\\Shares for reading, error <%d>\n", GetLastError());
		}
	}
	else
	{
		printf("Usage: GetDirFromShare <share name>\n");
	}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back