Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

timeslice

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2002
BR
Hi,

Anyone could inform how can i improve performance for Win16 Apps? The app run in TS Sessions, but the performance is very poor.
Can i run DOS apps in Full Screen in W2k?

Thanks,

Marcelo

If I remember correctly, I believe FULL SCREEN is the way they should be run at all times when using TS.

Never having used TS myself, I'm sure others will be able to confirm this.

Try setting the app up to run in separate memory space. What's probably happening is that each instance of the application launched on the Terminal Server is running is shared memory space. This is the default setting for 16-bit apps. Check out Knowledge Base Article 156360 for how to configure this.

I think I read somewhere that in TS DOS Apps will typically run slow all the time. -------------------------------
MCSE in training.
Currently I've gone through the following books:
70-210 Win2K Professional
70-215 Win2K Server

Mrs,

Information:

- The apps is already running in separate memory spaces;
- CMD.EXE cannot run in Full Screen Mode; Windows 2000 comes with COMMAND.COM interpreter too, but i cannot change to Full Screen mode ONLY in the TS Servers ( i can do it in a server were TS is not instaled :( )
- Otherwise, i made already several changes in the Register Keys (like, for ex, disabling Opportunistic Locking, it was really a nightmare...), i´m using programs like Tame (without it one session takes 100% processor for Clipper apps), and hotfixs was installed (like the one that correct SMB bad behaviors with programs and "database" files in network shares, like MDBs and DBFs). All that to correct strange behaviors that w2k can produce when running MS-DOS apps.

After all this changes the app started to work much better, but it still running slow...

Thanks for all your answers, if anyone have more ideas... please let me know...

Marcelo
MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back