Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dos programs aren't opening in windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverElectron

Programmer
Apr 10, 2003
CA
I have Windows 3.11 running on DOS 6.2. For some reason every time I click on a DOS program or even command.com I get an error that says: Cannot find file, make sure the program exists and all libraries are available. Why aren't my DOS programs opening!!! I haven't really changed any windows settings but it still refuses to work with dos programs.

Thanks,
-SE

Double check the path Are these programs set up to launch from windows desktop?

If you are going to run a DOS program in windows v3.xx, I would make sure you are using a PIF to call the program. You can find the PIF editor in the accessories group (if I recall correctly) and from there you can give it the information it needs to run DOS programs.

Good luck!

The paths are all correct but the programs don't open whether I call it from a PIF or not.

-SE

Check your PATH statement in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Stop Windows from booting up by temporarily REMming out the WIN command in AUTOEXEC.BAT, and just check that those DOS programmes really DO work successfully from the DOS the prompt.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I figured out what the problem was. Apparently DOS programs don't run in windows 3.1 unless you have a certain video mode set (I think it's 640x480). My friend suggested that I try playing around with the visual settings and he was right. Thanks for everyone's help anyway...

-SE

There maybe one or two that don't, but generally speaking most DOS programmes will run through Win 3.1/3.11 irrespective of the video mode. What are the programmes you're trying to run?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back