Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dos program remotely printing from 2k o/s to xp o/s system

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmurphy

Technical User
Nov 9, 2001
US
We currently use a MS Dos program on both a Windows 2k and XP computers with a NT 4.0 Server. Prior to installing the XP computer the 2k computer could remotely print to the old 2k computer with no problems. Now it will not print from the MS Dos program but will from any Windows program. I've edited the script to include NET USE LPT1 \\ACCOUNTING\hplaserj, which is the name of the new computer and the printer name.

Can someone help me resolve this issue? Please.

Prior to installing the XP computer the 2k computer could remotely print to the old 2k computer with no problems"

So the application is on your NT server or another old 2000 workstation? And your problem started after you setup an XP workstation on your network?

What happens if you go to a command prompt, and type

dir > lpt1

Does anything print?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

The application was on the 2K workstation that was replaced by the XP and now has the application, but there is still the other 2K workstation with this application that can not print to the printer that is connected to the XP workstation. But Windows applications will print

I tried the cmd you recommended and nothing printed.

This is really frustrating for me and the user thinks I'm a total idiot.

Please help.

If you can't do dir > lpt1, then it sounds like something is wrong with your net use capture command.

Is this in a login or startup script, or is the command being run in a batch file when the program is launched?

Once you are sure the command has been executed, hit CTRL + ESC, and launch a new command prompt. Type net use. If you don't see lpt1 mapped out to that unc path, then it isn't working right.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Can you map the port to say lpt3 or some other port the is not actually a physical device on the pc and reset you dos program to use that port?

In XP MS changed the security so that a non-admin cannot change the mapping of a physical device. So if the user is not an local admin the script wont work

I think there are some device work arounds if that don't work.

In response to your reply date 06/05. Nothing printed. The application is on the server.

Thanks for all you efforts to help me. It is appreciated.

I am having a similar problem. We have a user who is on Windows 2000. She is trying to print from an old dbase program. I know that I have to set her up to an lpt2 port that then points to the network printer. I have been using the following syntax.
net use lpt2:\\servername\RADMIN_Queue2/persistent:yes

I keep getting error 67 that it can not find the network resource. Is the printer name to long for the 8:3 dos?
Any additonal advice would be appreciated.

Very well could be. Create a second share with a shorter name and try it.

Pmurphy, what about my last post? You say you're still having problems, but I'll need that info to try and help more.

Matt J.

BNestore
I have a similar (error 67) issue... length has nothing to do with mine...
I can type in "net use lpt1:" and get the same error.
It ran fine on a Win 98 upgrade to XP-pro until I removed the printer from the network and tried to redirect to a new printer.. now it wont work...
-
trying the dir>lpt1 gives me a message (after it times out) that the device was not present.
it shows up in the device manager and lpt1 is set up to use legacy PnP (changed it after I got the error to try and get it working)

there is something else going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back