Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS program cant write temp directory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcnorm

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2011
BR
Hi all,

After cleaning a trojan infection this machine stoped running any DOS program. It's a Windows XP Pro SP2 logged with a domain user.

It gets the message: "A file needed for initialization could not be created or could not be written to..."

It happens only with DOS programs running by command.com.

I tried the follow:

- checked temp directory permissions, it's OK, this user can read and write using others non-DOS programs.

- changed the directory temp on TMP ambient variable.

- logged as the admin user of the machine DONT get the error.

- logged as other admin user of the domain DONT get the error.

- logged as OTHER same level user of the domain DO get the error.

- tried to copy cmd.exe and command.com from other machine.

So, the command.com of this machine can't write temporary files only with no admin users.

What more could I check? Is there such thing like "command.com temporary folder write permissions"?

Regards,

Luciano RM

You will get better answers than this but two things to try:

1) sfc /scannow , make sure you have a XP SP2 disc handy
2) upgrade to SP3

What did you use to clean out the infected PC, or was it a brute force removal? XP repair would prolly be my next step instead of trying to play with settings all afternoon.

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Hi DrB0b,

I used antivirus online and the local, more three anti spyware. It was a trojan tha looks like an antivirus tool.

I just did an upgrade to SP3 and the error is still there.

I dont understand how command.com can't write in a temp directory.

Regards,

Luciano RM

also check your AV program, some have a sandbox feature and if the COMMAND:COM is listed to be run in the sandbox, then it may just not be allowed to write to disk...

check the permissions on the temp folder, and make sure that SYSTEM has FULL control...

remember there may be at least TWO TEMP folders, one under the WINDOWS FOLDER and one under the LOCAL SETTINGS folder that each USER PROFILE has... Check both...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

There is a program unhide.exe that is used to correct permission issues with malware like you describe. You might try that to clean up file attributes.

Could it be that the file you need already exists but you can't access it rather than not being able to create it.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

BadBigBen, the solution was in your tip. I checked windows temp folder and there was no permissions to the common users. After set it back all DOS programs back to work fine.

Thank you all for the help!

Best regards,

Luciano RM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back