Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS locks up....whats the deal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyd

Programmer
Jun 19, 2002
US
I just purchased a new HD because my computer was locking up ALL THE TIME, so I just bought a new HD thinking this would solve my problems..... it didn't.  After installing the new HD the computer locks up at the C; prompt for God's sake....what kind of hardware problem is this??  Could it be a motherboard issue, or what?  Any help would be great.
bradley

Memory, CPU, M/B, keyboard, power, video. Think you can fairly assume that it isn't the case.
Kick it into CMOS setup and let it sit for a while and see if it locks up.
You might want to check the power supply input switch. Your symptoms sound familiar. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

ok, i did all that and no dice.  once i turn the computer on it lights up the cdrom drive lights and the hd lights for about 3 seconds, then nothing.  the monitor doesn't turn on or anything.  when i unplugged the hd and just left the startup disk in nothing happened.  i removed all the cards and everything else you recommended, any more ideas?!?!?!?
thanks for your help!!
bradley

CPU or M/B most likely except the PS has an output line that will stop the CPU from working. You need a logic probe to look at address lines to see if the CPU is cranking. You could take the motherboard out and the HD and CD would light up.
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Do you have a Dell, Compaq, Gateway, or someother "name brand" type of computer?

Add a CD or HD to a one of these and it locks up all the time (except for most newer Dells)

They want you to buy their upgrads at 3 times the retail price.

Otherwise try again stripping it down. Motherboard, CPU, Memory, & Video card is all you need to get into CMOS. See how long you can keep it going adding one item at a time.

I read some where that most lock up problems are caused by over heating, but it doesn't sound like you can keep your running long enough for it to get hot.

First check to make sure your Fan to the CPU is moving when you start the PC, second go to CMOS. and slow down your memory to the slowest nano seconds you can, or slow default and see If it crashes then, If that doesn't work chances are it's your memory.

What type of mremory do you have?

Let me know what happened
stuckbmw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back