Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS Locking up! Help pleeaassee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyd

Programmer
Jun 19, 2002
US
I just purchased a new HD because my computer was locking up ALL THE TIME, so I just bought a new HD thinking this would solve my problems..... it didn't. After installing the new HD the computer locks up at the C; prompt for God's sake....what kind of hardware problem is this?? Could it be a motherboard issue, or what? Any help would be great.

bradley

Well, you've eliminated/changed 1 variable, you might want to try others. Unplug the data cable to the hard drive and boot to a (Win98) floppy disk. See what happens there. Plug the drive back in, boot to the floppy and see if you can read the C: drive, type dir c: at the floppy prompt.

If the drive can't be read, temporarily plug it into the Secondary IDE channel and try again. Could be the IDE controller on the motherboard is flaky/bad.

Obviously you have partitioned and formatted the C drive so if you can read it, then it could be problems with the memory.

If you 2 or more memory modules try taking one at a time out and see if that helps. Be sure the single module is in the first slot.

From a distance, it's hard to advise specific actions. It's just a remove/replace process when it can't be seen on a tech's bench.

Remove all the plug-in cards except the video and try it. Then replace one until you get the problem again.

thanks for the advice, i'll try those sugestions and let ya know!

ok, i did all that and no dice. once i turn the computer on it lights up the cdrom drive lights and the hd lights for about 3 seconds, then nothing. the monitor doesn't turn on or anything. when i unplugged the hd and just left the startup disk in nothing happened. i removed all the cards and everything else you recommended, any more ideas?!?!?!?

thanks for your help!!

bradley

From all that's been tried it seems to be down to either a failing/bad power supply or motherboard.

You might also want to make sure you're not overheating. Check to make sure all your fans are still working and if you can get into the BIOS, check for a tempurature reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back