Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS FoxProx 2.6 on Xp Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auguy

Programmer
May 1, 2004
US
I'm sorry about asking a question like this after Xp has been put out so long, but I recently retired my old Win98 box. First time trying to run Dos FoxPro 2.6 on my Windows XP Pro box. FoxPro starts but immediately shuts down with the following error "not enough memory to allocate name table". I've tried a couple of memory settings as suggested in the FAQ with no luck and haven't been able to locate any help with this specific error as it relates to XP. It must be a memory setting, but not sure exactly what to change. I tried TameDos, but that didn't seem do anything.

Auguy
Sylvania, Ohio

did you review this FAQ
faq182-6380

David W. Grewe (Dave)

Yes, I reviewed that FAQ. Didn't apply patches (mostly for Windows version). I don't have a speed issue, just doesn't run and I get the "not enough memory to allocate name table" error. I will try some other memory settings.

Auguy
Sylvania, Ohio

I run both development env. and compiled applications of FPD 2.0, 2.5 and 2.6 on Win2K/XP without any problems. The only settings I have done were FILES=80 in CONFIG.NT and changing fontsize in DOSBOX window of apps. None of default memory settings I have touched.
Do you launch your FPD directly (from explorer for example) or thru PIF/LNK file?

Did you set memory XMS in _DEFAULT.PIF in WINDOWS dir ?
What version of exe do you start ? foxproX.exe ?

Tomas

My apologies and thanks to all. I tried another copy in a different folder and it worked. I have not idea why the original did not work, will have to investigate further. I think I will try replacing the files one by one and see which one is causing the problem. I am starting FoxProx.exe through a shortcut. Setting the XMS memory doesn't seem to matter with the exe that is now running.

Auguy
Sylvania, Ohio

Dave, thanks for the hint. tried moving to different folders with no luck. Both of the foxprox.exe files contain the same number of bytes. I Ran a file compare and there were some differences. Why I don't know. As soon as I replaced the "Bad" exe with the good one, it worked properly from that folder also.

Auguy
Sylvania, Ohio

Is this a single stadalone or a network installation?

If it is a network installation, many problems arise when files are copied to a new workstation to a user who has not got full admin rights.

If you are setting up a user, upgrade them to an administrator on the workstation, copy the files, test the program, and then reset the user to his/her previous priviledge level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back