Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dos file handles in WinXP environment 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffgarb

Technical User
Dec 27, 2003
US
I hope you can help me. My business depends on continuing to use a customer software application written in Clipper/Dos that is no longer supported by the creator. I have no problem using it in Win 98, but in Win XP I get the "not enough file handles" error. I go to config sys and add the line files=99, Save and reboot, which should be enough, but when I run the program in a window, I get "not enough file handles currently only 37". Obviously, WinXP is not saving the changes to the config sys. Do you have any idea what is wrong?

Another buggy issue is that There are some executable files written as part of this application. Some work fine and others lock up the system and make the internal speaker alarm go off. Why is that?

I would greatly appreciate it if you could shoot me out a few suggestions. Have a Happy New Year.

All I have are the finished exec files and I have no idea what's behind them - I don't have any libraries or reference files. I can't answer you with what I have.

Hi Jeff,
I am a Clipper developer in UK.
I have similar problems with 100% CPU usage and have tried to fix it with with no success as yet.
To try this you would need to decompile the application.
There are plenty of Clipper decompilers available on the Web but you might not find it easy to follow what they produce.

I hope you have some success.
Will post more info. if I find anything useful.

Martin.

I could never figure out how to use a decompiler. What about work arounds with the pif/memory settings? Nothing seems to help how the clipper app hogs the all the ram and slows down MS Office 2003 apps. Would MS Virtual PC help? What other workarounds can you think of? I really need to use this clipper app and I also need to run an XP machine at the same time - the two don't get along together well. The clipper app works great in the full screen window, but when I go ctrl-enter and make it into a sized window it stops behaving. I'd appreciate any ideas anyone has.

Jeff Garb

Martin,

I'm also UK based. If you want to talk about the fix on Klas' site or others drop me an e-mail and I'll call you.

DTE at BTInternet dot com

Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

I have had success with using DPAKBD.COM for the CPU/time slice problem. For those not aware, it does not require any Clipper recompile and drops 100% CPU utilization to about 40%, allows the rest of the apps to run like they should.
If interested, search for "DPAKBD" on download it, check out its help (/?)
good luck

It's all greek to me. I can find the file on the web, but I have absoloutely no idea how to run it or play with it's settings. Can you give me a play by play on what to do in an xp environment.

FYI I did purchase MS Virtual PC and have been somewhat successful running the Clipper app in a virtual 98SE environment. I'd still love to get the app up and running in XP. I do notice that the app slows down when running reports. It was the fastest it ever ran in straight 98SE environment. Now when running in virtual 98SE, it is much slower to run reports and there is a slight lag scrolling down table lookups and jumping to and from pull down menus.

Jeff Garb

A couple of suggestions :-

1)

If you are not in a position to recompile the Clipper programs, the solution circes9 provided appear to be the most viable. I have never used DPAKBD, but I have used another utility which came with a commercial product like it, that solves timeslicing problems under XP.

To give DPAKBD a go:-

Download it (I found it at
Extract the DPAKPD.COM and copy it into C:\WINDOWS

Edit the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT file and add a line:-

C:\WINDOWS\DPAKPD.COM /D3 /T1

Save the file.

Restart your DOS application.

DPAKPD.COM will be started automatically for each DOS session run.

2)

You may also want to check the memory settings under XP:-

Right Click on C:\WINDOWS\_DEFAULT.PIF
Choose properties.

On the MEMORY tab:-

Set Initial Environment to 4096
Make sure XMS memory is set to Auto (or a higher value)
Make sure EMS memory is set to Auto (or a higher value)

On the MISC tab, make sure the Idle Sensitivity isn't all the way to the left (LOW).

These changes will only take affect when your DOS application/session is started.

JockMullin,

I have the same problem as JeffGarb with a clipper program. I can get it to work through the msdos window, but need to create the shortcut to use command.com to run my app. The app. is running on the server and what I have done w/the win98 cpu's is not working w/winXP.
command line = g:\cse\cse.exe
working = g:\cse

The autoexec.nt and config.nt are correct. I have this working on a standalone unit at home (for program upgrade testing) but feel the networking issue is my problem.

Leon

Hi, csetech

Try:

command line:
c:\windows\system32\command.com /c g:\cse\cse.exe

working: g:\cse

You can also add a /e:<environment size> param to the command line if you need extra environment space.

Also /p (permanent) if you want command.com to allow exit to DOS and not close when cse.exe terminates.

Those params should be after command.com and before /c.

When you create your shortcut like that you will find extra tabs and params in the properties which enable you to adjust idle sensitivity etc.

Jock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back