Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dos command timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterG5

Programmer
Apr 29, 2003
IE
Hi All,
I'm looking for some setting where the DOS command timeout interval can be increased. Any suggestions?
I'm running overnight applications using wfmobile and one
imbedded DOS copy command is copying a file of circa 30,000
records. Focus displays a prompt asking if I want to keep waiting. This is OK when I'm here but becomes a problem for unattended operations, as a response is required to continue.
Many Thanks, Peter.

can you post your DOS copy command line, as its written?

Hi Tdigs,

This is the exact command; I tried XCOPY as well.

Peter.

DOS COPY C:\IBI\PGFTEMP\S1590R-3.XLS \\E6BISRV01\WEB\SALES\OUT\S1590R-3.XLS
-RUN

Peter,

what version of the product are you using: WebFOCUS, Developers Studio, PC/Focus?

Focwizard,
I'm using WebFocus 4.3.1 in W/2000.
Peter.

Peter,

The only thing I can suggest is to try using the SYSTEM subroutine, rather than a call to DOS. When you issue a DOS command, it runs in parallel to WebFocus. Since you say it's your only command, perhaps WebFocus is finished everything else, and wants to close down.

Using the SYSTEM subroutine, like this:

-SET &CMD = 'XCOPY C:\IBI\PGFTEMP\S1590R-3.XLS \\E6BISRV01\WEB\SALES\OUT\S1590R-3.XLS';
-SET &RC = SYSTEM(&CMD.LENGTH,&CMD,'I4');

and control doesn't return until the command is done.

Hi Focwizard,

Thanks for the tip; I tried it but am still getting the
"There is no response. Do you want to keep waiting?" message. It doesn't matter now; I've decided to use FTP to send the file instead of the DOS copy command and it seems
to work fine. Put it down to experience. It's slightly academic now but in relation to the SYSTEM command (which might prove useful elsewhere), obviuosly Focus is incrementing some internal timer while it waits for DOS (or whatever system) to return control to it. Can the threshold for this setting be increased?
Thanks, Peter.

Peter,

One last thought. No one here can find where WebFOCUS puts out the 'waiting' message? Is it possible that it comes from DOS? What happens if you create the file, and then issue the XCOPY command from DOS itself?

The copy command works from a DOS prompt or when run in a bat file. If you run either the copy command or the bat file from within a fex, the issue arises.
I've got a jpeg file showing the message on the screen, where it announces itself as a "Focus Message". If you send me an e-mail address, I'll forward it. Peter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back