Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dos client unable to get login

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davo67

Technical User
Jul 3, 2001
GB
First of all I have only been working with Novell 5.1 for 2 days so if your answers can be 'idiot proof' i would be most grateful ;O)

Problem:
I have a legacy dos app running from a server. This app needs to be run from a DOS workstation due to some conventional memory issues.

I've set up a machine and downloaded a dos client for the NIC and run the following commands:
LSL
1208odi (NIC driver)
ipxodi
netx

which then gives me the message that i'm attached to the Server. Great i thought but when I try f: to get the login, there is no drive and therefore I can't get to the drive.

Netx /u sucessfully unloads.

I have also tried using VLM instead of netx with the following net.cfg file
Link Driver 1208ODI
FRAME Ethernet_802.3
FRAME Ethernet_802.2
FRAME Ethernet_II
FRAME Ethernet_SNAP

NetWare DOS Requester
FIRST NETWORK DRIVE=F
NETWARE PROTOCOL = NDS BIND

Any advice on Novell will be greatly appreciated!

I'm digging back into my memory here, since I havent used a DOS client for at least 5 years but as I recall, after you load the client, you are given a basic connection to the PUBLIC and LOGIN directories. At that point, you need to authenticate to the server. Try entering LOGIN after you are connected to the server. You should get asked for a username and password. You should use full context: ".admin.abc.xyz".

Once logged in, you should be able to get to the "F" drive.

Here's a couple of links to look at:

You might also want to see if you can find the client32 for DOS/WIN. It uses 32 bit drivers and attaches a little better.

Sorry my memory is a bit wobbly. I haven't even thought about DOS in a year or so.

The problem is that although I get the message:
Attached to Server servername etc.
I am unable to get to the Public / Login drive/Folder (F:)
in order to login. Only local drives are available hence
typing login just gives a bad command error F: gives
invalid drive etc

I have done this once years ago with Novell 3.12 but not on

Any suggestions please????

Have you got the LASTDRIVE=Z statement in your CONFIG.SYS ? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks TheLad

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, i appreciate your help.

Manged to get it sorted, it was a dos problem

So DAVO67 - what exactly was that DOS issue? This inquiring mind is curious...

P-Dawg

You need another file c alled netdrive.exe executing right after netx. After netdrive executes, f:\login should pop up. From there, just type in login and hit enter. You know what to do from there....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back