Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS applications on Windows2000 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie321

Programmer
Jan 11, 2002
CA
When I run DOS applications written in Clipper, the CPU jumps to 100% and sometimes crashes on computers running Windows2000. These are applications that I maintain at work and we need to keep them running.

I’ve read other threads that had this problem but I didn’t get enough information to solve my problem.

I’d appreciate any help.

Hi there
i have Dosidle.RAR ,How can i make use of it.

My old dos database application works on windows 2000 installed on fat 32 file structure, but I can't seem to get the application to use the whole window at full screen. It only fills the upper half of the screen. How can I fix this problem?

Hi Roggy
Right click on the icon and go to properties then layout and make both Screen buffer size and Windows size Width=80 and Height=25. Options has a Windowed/Full Screen options. Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Hi Bozz,

I noticed your hint for having full screen 80x25 mode in W2K the default for a DOS app. This problem has been driving me up a tree so I took your advice (I am not Roggy):

>Hi Roggy
>Right click on the icon and go to properties then layout >and make both Screen buffer size and Windows size Width=80 >and Height=25. Options has a Windowed/Full Screen options.

One problem with the above. There is no SCREEN BUFFER SIZE. Nor is there any option to change the WINDOW SIZE width to 80/25. I checked in FONT, SCREEN, MISC - in fact, I checked out all of the PIF option tabs. There was no reference to any of those two settings in any pif. What am I doing wrong here? Any tips would be appreciated. I am trying to make 80 x 25 the default for command prompt activities.

Running W2k Pro w/SP3

RG

Well, I'm running W2K SP3 as well and I've got them!

After a bit of playing, if you create a shortcut to an EXE you don't get them, if it's a BAT you do. So you could create a batch file to run the EXE. The other option is to click on the top left icon in the Windowed running DOS app and edit the properties there, where you should have Options, Font, Layout and Colors tabs.

Good luck Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

I had a similar problem with applications that worked ok in 98 and died in 2000. The solution for mine was the option editor "OPTEDIT.EXE" using the "extramin -8192" option.

Optedit will modify the options of a clipper app previously compiled with exospace.

I downloaded Optedit from the CA site.

You can put Optedit.exe in the same location as your exe and run it from the command line.

The following command solved my Win2K clipper problem.

Optedit Your.exe -EXTRAMIN 8192

Good Luck

I juts insert this code on my main application. Work great for inkey() calls. The only problem if for GetSys() calls to inkey(). I created a function called new_Inkey() at the end of getSys.prg. Compile with /m/n/w and each time i try to add to clipper.lib i got the same error LIB : Fatal error U1187 : cannot open VM.TEMP. The new_inkey have to be called by getsys() functions. Does anybody know what could be wrong ???

FUNCTION new_Inkey(x)
LOCAL nKey := 0

DO CASE
CASE x == Nil .OR. valType(x) <> &quot;N&quot;
nKey := inkey()
CASE x <> 0
nKey := inkey(abs(x))
OTHERWISE
WHILE ( (nKey := inkey(.1) ) == 0 ) ; ENDDO
ENDCASE

RETURN nKey

In getSys(), there is only one call to inkey() and this I replaced with new_Inkey()

In my header files I add the following.
#translate inkey(<x>) => new_Inkey( <x> )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back