Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dos App In XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotek02

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
US
I have a user who is using a Dos app to run a timer. Problem is that it will not connect to any of his Ports either is LPT port or his COM port. within windows they work fine but in dos they don't Any Ideas.

And I know we need to get rid of the Dos Program but we can't do anything until the company Changes timers.

Thank you.
Lotek

Can you give more details, please. Eg, what does the app do? Why does it need to connect to LPT & COM ports?

This App not only controls his timers but has his database on it as well. it's a commercial program specificly for his business. the com Ports control the mulitple Timers that are connected to the program. but not only that the Print screen wouldn't even work on the Dos APP. we are running it in Full Screen mode. the tricky thing is that the Com ports and LPT ports work fine in Windows XP.

Thank you for any Help or advice you can give.

Have you tried the compatibility wizard?
click ->start
click ->all programs
click ->accessories
click ->program compatibility wizard
(within wizard)
click ->next
select ->I want to locate a program manually
find ->the program exe file
click ->open
click ->next
select ->windows 95
I don't believe you have to worry about display characteristics for your issue
click ->next to test if it works
Good luck

What do you mean with: in DOS they don't?
Do you mean when it is ran fullscreen? If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

Tried the Comparability Test but same thing the app runs but the Com and LPT port still aren't being recognized. I also created a Pif file to try to get it to work and no such luck, then I tried to create an autoexec.nt and config.nt and those didn't work. any other ideas would be gratfully appreciated. I've been working on this for about a month and I'm getting really frustrated with XP.

Thank You
Lotek

Did you let winxp install the devices on your ports by itself? I have found that you have to install the devices within the device wizard by selecting the device or using the install disk to make legacy apps work.

Agaain :

What do you mean with: in DOS they don't?
Do you mean when it is ran fullscreen?
Run in Windowed, if you switch to Fullscreen you are in real time and do not have access to these ports. If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

Thanks for Setting me strait on the Dos thing marcs41 It's just that I see the Black Screen and think I'm in Win9x again. I have a ticket opened with Microsoft if I get an answer from them I'll let you know.

Lotek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back