Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS and Windows 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

djacobus

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2003
US
We recently aquired a company that has some DOS clients running netbuei in one of the plants. Yuck! There is no upgrade path at the moment so were stuck with these DOS machines. The prevous company had a Win2K AD domain. We have Win 2003 domain at the win 2003 domain authentication level. We are going to have to install a Win 2003 server at this location because of this and we will have to share the folders from this server. Here are my questions: 1. Is there a patch or hack somewhere to get NETBEUI on Win 2003 server and 2. with windows 2003 not being able to authenticate Win 95 and below can these DOS clients even access a "wide open share" on the 2003 server? There is no authentication as far as I can tell. These DOS machines access a proprietary program running on a server with no domain authentication.
If I havent confused anyone with this long winded question does anyone have any answers or suggestions? Thanks!

Possibly silly question - but can't you just leave the 2k domain in place as is at the plant with the DOS clients (as presumably they don't need to talk to anything else)?

There are policies on Windows 2000 and higher...but you can allow anonymous access. This will allow DOS machines the ability to talk to the application.

And yes, you can install Netbuie on a Windows 2003 server:
later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Sounds great. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back