Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dos 7.? to boot into NTFS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcglitch

Technical User
Jul 9, 2004
US
Im looking for a dos version or something like dos that I can boot up with from a floppy or cdrom and then navigate through my ntfs partions and folders. I tried the ntfsreader from bootdisk.com and thats a great program, just not what I need to do. I want to be able to boot into the disk, navigate to a specific folder example: "c:\temp\here" or even "d:\here\also" and then be able to execute a file from that folder. Isnt there a Dos version that can be used for this, like the older dos 6.1 or something. If this seems like a stupid question, please pardon my ignorance/brainlapse.

Thank you !

There are two issues, at least:

. one, your applications are Windows applications.
. two, the NTFS filestore

You can for free remedy on a read basis the latter (links to follow) but you can do nothing about the former.

To have write priviliges you would have to purchase a product. See the site:
But neither DOS nor a Linux shell will escape the critical issue: these are Windows applications, requiring the Windows 32 API, the Windows registry, and a heckuva lot of things that access to NTFS will not resolve.

Thanks dcsnetwiz and bcastner ! I will look into them all, so far have been able to read about NTFSDos prog, and that seems like what I may need "read only access". But I would also like to have write permissions also at times. SO I thank you both and I'll be reading up on these links.

Thanks again guys!
pcglitch

my bad....I lost the bookmarks for WINternals and mistakenly gave you sysinternals....

I have NFTSBOOT also known as NTFSDOS PRO...That works! forget the other link I gave you...I never have used that stuff

netwiz

You might as well have a look at BartPE while your at it.

BartPE (a mini XP self contained on a bootable CD and run from CD) which includes several commonly installed third party programs via plugins.

(for some annoying reason the pages on the Ultimate site appear blank at the moment. Scroll down.)

I guess it is just the personal choice and convenience of the small download that BartPE affords your poor Dial-up cousins from the back-blocks. The speed of the small download versus waiting for the purchasable CD to arrive.

Most of the other add-ons are available separately or the whole CD (in pre-compilation form as I understand it) can be purchased from for about $10.

You can download it directly, without fee.
Scroll the darn pages on the left of the Home site. I have no idea why that seem blank unless you do so. This is a site glitch that was not there two days ago. Scroll.

Thanks everyone, I found what I needed and it worked great!
bcastner, you had sent me a link from a previous post of mine over at and from the link you provided, I was able to stumble upon the web site and even create the disk as instructed. WOW this was great. only I wasnt aware of all the goodies inside this disk, or the power to add more like personal drivers for my sata drives. I decided to reach for the ubcd3win disk I created lastweek inhopes it would allow me to see my stored files on the sata/ntfs drives and able to access them, and It worked great, it let me write files from one partition to the next, delete, and even install some dos progs to prep my drive for a new install. Thanks for all the great info and support gang! I give ubcd4win three thumbs up !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back