Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOS 6.22 software 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt74

Technical User
Aug 20, 2004
BE
I'm looking for a dos 6.22 to install on an old pc of mine. I'm from the "new" generation and started with windows 95. Unfortunately I don't know anything about dos, but want to learn it. It's very helpfull to know and try to fix problems. I would be very thankfull if anybody could help me with this.
I would like to improve my job as a self made lan admin...missing the basic knowledge... :-(
I've found some books, but I don't have the program. I guess I need a boot disk and 6.22 os software. Can anybody please help me?
P.S.: I'm from Belgium (but speak many languages).
Thanks in advance.
Kurt

Have you tried e-bay?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I'm not convinced of the benefit of learning Dos6.22....

BitFuzzy:

Not necessarily true. There is still a command line interface accessible in Windows XP, and while it might not be used much, those who know how to use it can oft times do things faster and cleaner in their opinion.

Taste cannot be debated. But one should never look down on anyone for wanting to learn about something, albeit old or not. There are some fundamentals there that could serve some benefit in the future.

Cheers!

[There is still a command
line interface accessible in Windows XP]

This is absolutly true, however many of the "DOS" commands that will be learned under "6.22" are useless as they are no longer supported under current versions of Windows.

Ok fine, there are still 95-ME machines still running and even a few 3.x machines (I have them all running) that could benifit from the knowledge, but he'd be better served learning current command line features, or even Linux.

My first OS was DOS, I was lucky enough to be there to see it all take off (pre windows), and DOS holds fond memories, in fact I host several DOS related drivers and files just incase someone is in need of them someday. I'm not attacking DOS, I just don't think someone looking to "better" his knowledge will be best served spending too much time worrying about a OS that for the most part has been replaced.

Kurt74,
Maybe you can find them at a computer show, a PC shop or a garage sale.Perhaps a friend or a co-worker has a set.

Knowing MS-DOS 6.22 will be helpful if wanting to know more about Windows 3.1x since DOS has to be installed first. I still use some of my DOS learning from the early '90s at least once a week, sometimes once or more a day. In the Command Prompt window of Win2000 or WinXP you can type the command of interest followed by a space and /? to get either helpful information and the message that the command is not supported.

I understand your reasons to learn the early DOS operating systems. Our first pc's used DOS and Win3.1.
I would have thought that the early DOS programs are easy to locate. We've had plenty of these around for years.
In my technical library of stuff, I have on 3 1/2 diskettes:
DOS 3.0
DOS 3.30 and DOS3.30a
DOS 5
DOS 5.02
DOS 6.2 with supplemental disk
DOS 6.22 with supplemental disk
Several editions of Windows
The DOS Operating System Manual, Version 6.

IMO it's a natural progression to learn DOS commands which mostly all work thru the DOS 8 found in Me; then, apply that knowledge to the command line stuff found in NT based systems.

I get my assorted versions of DOS on ebay, at computer shows, thrift stores, or yard sales. Unopened stuff usually sets me back about $5 and I own the license.

Skip

Just my two cents worth - I use DOS daily in my work. There are somethings you just can't do with Windows, Mac, or even Unix. I have a Pentium 133 laptop that I use at home for all my personal work. And yes, it's faster than anything else. No GUI to load and try to control.

Iolair MacWalter

I still use a 386-20 laptop and a 486-33 laptop along with everything else I have.

It is very difficult getting people to understand that there are times that older and slower is quite sufficient to get productive work done.

But if it comes to screaming, DOS on the later and greater is pretty good.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back