Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Don't understand error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkymonk

Technical User
Dec 18, 2000
GB
Apparently someone has tried to open a PDF I have on my companies web site and keeps getting this error message:

"there was an error processing a page. A font contains a bad CMap/encoding"

I don't get this message when I open it and it's the first time I've heard of it.

The two font's on the document are Palatino Linotype and Arial and they are embeded in the PDF.

Can someone point me in the right direction of a solution if there is one?

If you want to try the document yourself then heres the link to the page:

and click "Download printable contract".

Cheers
funkymonk2.jpg

funkymonk@blueyonder.co.uk

hi,

The problem is that you used Truetype fonts. It is better to use PS-fonts. The encoding of Truetype fonts is often misread.
A tip for the future could be to open your pdf document in Illustrator 9 or higher. Illustrator is the best way to control your pdf file.
And if you want the file to be downloadeble only than I would suggest that you bi HQX it. otherwise the the document will first open in your browser. If bin HQX the file will be downloaded to the customers computer.

hope this helps
grillhouse

Thanks for the reply.

I don't and won't have Illustrator anywhere in the near future but I do have Acrobat 5, this is how I created this (through MS Word). I don't know much about creating decent PDF's so will have to do a little research.

As for the download, I want people to be able to view it (and other PDF's) online as well as download so that bi HQX thing is a good thing to know, thanks.

As for the True type font's. The font we use (the company I work for) is Palatino and Arial. Does what you say mean I shouldn't use them?

funkymonk2.jpg

funkymonk@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi,

Indeed. Look for a Postcript version of the fonts. If you don't find them I can mail them to you.

hope this helps
grillhouse

the message has nothing to do with the used font but how the font is in the PDF file. Check if the font in the PDF is a Type0 ot TrueType or Type1 font. If it is Type0 then the CMap files needed for two-byte fonts must be installed. Files form Indisgn do have this problem.

Check the Adobe site for the 2-byte font installers or re-install Acrobat on the problem computer with 2-byte font support.

Use Enfocus Browser ( a free plug-in for the full Acrobat ) to check how the font is in the PDF file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back