Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dont see other domains!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

boycott

Technical User
Aug 10, 2001
CA
hi guy,

i have 4 domain in 4 different building.

The problem is i cannot see for exemple the other domain(1,2 and 3) from domain 4 in network neibourhood but i can map on workstation from domain 1 2 and 3. I can even see the domain 4 from domain 1 2 and 3 in network neibourhood.

The problem seems to come from the domain 4 but i dont know what.

I only have one WINS Server in domain 1.

So if anyone have an idea of what the problem is....

Boycot

Is the PDC of domain 4 a WINS client? I mean, is it configured to use the WINS server in domain 1? If it is not, this might cause your problem.

The PDC in domain 4 is a client of the wins server in domain 1.

The problem is i only have one domain listed in network neighborhood on the PDC in domain 4 even on each workstation.

i would like to add that everything was working perfectly few days ago before this problem occurs without any modification on the network.

You might try rebooting the PDC of domain 4. The problem sounds like it's in your browsing environment. Your symptoms sound like a result of the Domain Master Browser not being properly registered as a WINS client. Usually the PDC of a domain is the Domain Master Browser, but sometimes other systems can get the role, especially if you have an NT domain with W2K member servers in it. If you reboot the PDC, it will hold another browsing election and should re-assume the browsemaster role. Make sure that all your W2K servers in domain 4 are WINS clients, and that they have their NetBIOS over TCP/IP services enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back