Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DON'T RESTORE KILLS FILES

Status
Not open for further replies.

hone69

Technical User
Jul 4, 2002
FR
I have a problem of restoration with the software Backup Exec

I am at present in training and I work on the methods of protection. At present they make complete protections every day but I suggest them making differential protections.

fr mon tue wed thur
F1 0 1 0 x x
F2 0 0 1 0 1
F3 0 0 0 0 0
Total 3 1 2 1 2

0 = Create
1 = modify
x = killed(abolished)

On Friday, I have create our 3 files. I make a complete protection of our 3 files.

On Monday, one modifies the file 1. I do a differential protection. I protect a single file.

On Tuesday, one modifies the file 2. I do a differential protection. I protect 2 files. (That one and that of Monday)

On Wednesday, one kills the file 1. I do a differential protection. I always protect that 2 files. (That of Monday and of Tuesday)

On Thursday, the server falls out of order, I want to restore as it was on Wednesday but without the killed file, on the other hand with the file 3 which was modified never again.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM
I do not manage to restore only files 2 and 3. The file 1 always appears.

Normally seen that I killed(abolished) him(it) on Wednesdays it(he) should not be any more there. But when I restore the complete band(strip) the file 1 is inside!

Would there be an option Tapeware who allows not to restore files abolished by the user?

THANK YOU FOR THE ONE WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN MY SUBJECT.

Huh?

For your restore, you should:

1. Restore the full backup (or as you call it 'complete protection') from Friday (restores F1, F2, F3 to original state)

2. Restore the differential backup ('differential protection') from Wednesday (restores F1, F2, F3 to the last state on Wednesday - which means F1 is gone)

However, if you backed up your files on Wednesday and then deleted (abolished) F1, then using the Differential from Wednesday will KEEP F1.

You might have to do a 'point-in-time' restore and use Thursdays tape (if it was made before the crash) and restore upto the time of the crash.

-Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back