Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Don't know what password on TCP/IP network? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2003
US
I have a wireless network with a W2k box and two 98 boxes. I can access the two 98 boxes, but when I try to access the shares on the 2000 box from the 98 boxes, I get a box popping up asking me for a password to connect the the share. I don't know what password its talking about. I have used my login password for 2000 box and for 98 box but it says invalid password. I don't know what password its asking for. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

I have run into this before and have found that occasionally if I go into the drive on the 2000 box and share the individual file, the password box doesn't open up.

For all computers on a workgroup:

. Add the usernames and passwords of computer A, to computers B, C
. Add the usernames and passwords of computer B, to computers A, C
. Add the usernames and passwords of computer C to computers A, B

Workgroups are annoying this way. XP as a client does a better job of caching stored credentials, but essentialy in a Workgroup setting you need to make all of the username/password entries match.

The security in this instance them comes from the basic Windows "Share" facility to restrict access to any given share by username (since you have now enumerated them as local username/passwords, this becomes easier) and through the use of NTFS permissions by user and access right (similarly, since they are now all defined as local users).

There is no facility to enumerate workgroup members when creating share or NTFS permissions. You need to by hand create the synchronization of all username/password combinations to fully use Windows security in a Workgroup -- particularly in a mixed OS setting as you describe.

Thanks I did what you said and it works, I appreciate the help

Thanks,
Ryan

when you connect to a box you can "connect as..." You didn't have to add all of the usernames, you could have just preceeded the user ID with the hostname of the SAM

Example:

when the box, let's call it server1 asked you for a username and password to connect to a share via UNC Path, you on "client1" should have typed the username:

server1\valid user on the 2000 box
then specify the password. The last of the server name preceeding your userid is why it failed when you tried.

This allows for credentials to be passed through on while connected to the 2000 box.

When you disconnect and log off yoru workstation, the "cached" credentials will expire and you will have to specify again.

BCastner is right on with being able to "browse the workgroup", but so can anyone who sits at any of your machines.

Glad it all worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back