Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Don't Enough Memory for Defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompDelTechStu

Technical User
Dec 13, 2000
US
My neighbor has a PC that I have just put 128 meg of memory in which brings his total up to 196 meg of free memory with nothing running. When he tries to run Disk Defrag it tells him after sometime he gets a code that says:

Your Computer does not have enough free memory to degrag this drive.
ID No. DEFRAG009

The computer is a home built K-6 400 with now 196 meg of memory and its a 20.6 gig drive. Any ideas of how come this doesn't defrag with nothing running in the background?
Thanks again

hello,

which drive you are trying to defrag? how much more disk space left? You can set more virtual memory to the OS.
usually by right click on the My computer and the last tab,

for windows 2000, 98.

hui

Trying to defrag the main drive and it still has 14 gig free. Windows is managing the virtual memory, I know some about computers to play around with things but when it comes to things like the virtual memory I am lost and really don't want to screw his computer up playing with it. If you can give me a place to look around and read about fooling with setting will be more then happy to read and try it out.

hmmm,

how many programs is open, because when you have a lot of programs open while defraging the paging file is bigger and if you fool around with your computer while defraging it resets since the paging file has been changed. i think you should try changing the virtual memory paging file to 2x the ram. that way you are pretty sure it has enough. it's right click on the my computer icon, should be the first icon and go to properties and you will be at the system box. it should be the last tab. just change the recommend to your own setting 2x the ram. what os are you using?

hui

There is no programs running in the background. Running Windows 98SE. Will give that a try and see what happens. Thanks for the help will keep the thread updated.

Ok There was no change when the the memory setting was changed. Again there was no programs running in the background.

Here's something to try, it may or may not help:

Clean up the disk first, using Disk Cleanup ( in System Tools ), being sure to empty the internet related folders ( downloaded and temp. ) Empty the Recycle bin too.

Sometimes there are many thousands of files in there from your 'Net travels, albeit tiny ones, and I have had defrag simply gag on the volume.

Good practice anyways, even if it doesn't help the memory error.

Ray

Have you tried defragging in Safe Mode?, might be worth a try. Or you could search your Windows CD for a file called 'Defrag.inf, copy to your desktop and double click or right click and select install. When you shut down and restart your PC defrag will automatically run before windows loads. You will have to repeat the procedure above any time you want to use this method to defrag. Hope this helps.

What type of memory did you put in this system?
How many simms or dimms are used?
Are all slots filled?

You should have all the same nano sec. and all the same type. You can use a 72 pin and a 168 pin at the same time. (if this is the case). It will only read one or the other.

Dont be afraid to max out your Virtual mem. I had to do this once but if your just defragging do that. afterwards let windows manage it.

Please get back to me on the mem issue

I put the same memory as there was in it. It is 2 Dimm's that are in it. One 64 meg and One 128 meg chip. I have tried to defrag the drive in Safe Mode and that did not work gave me the same error message. There is still one slot of memory open. I really don't feel comfortable playing with the virtual memory only because it's not my PC. If you have a place to read about it then I will be alot more comfortable or explaining it in alittle better detail. I know where to change it but it keeps putting it back to letting Windows manage it and won't stay on letting me manage it. Thanks for the help and hopefully something will work one of these times.

How about going with just the 128 for a test. Seem to remember that there were some induced memory problems at one time if the larger package wasn't installed first. And the 128 standalone should give enough for anything. If it still fails, then fall back to the 64 standalone. At least you will know whether you induced the problem.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Would try that but the 64 standalone was still a problem. Guess he will just have to live with what he has. He doesn't do enough to worry about. Thanks for the help guys will just forget about it unless something comes up later.

try the 128 stick only in the 3rd free DIMM slot If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

Thanks for the help. Will give them all a try and then resort to the hammer method. I find that one to work the best personally.... hehe

This is a technical forum. Lets be specific. Percussive maintenance.

Can we revisit an earlier post. There was a problem with the 64MB memory? You have a memory problem here if 64 Mb won't let defrag run. And if you have a problem with 64 piling more on top isn't going to help.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Ive got yo ask you this. Are the little pins(teeth) on the ram chips silver or gold?

hi

can u try this

edit the config.sys file is root c:check if u have these lines not important in 98
but try if u failed u can remove it

device=c:\windows\himem.sys
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
files=70
dos=high,umb

save the file ... reboot
try this may be it will help u
if not try changing the ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor