Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dongle in XP Pro 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdas04

Technical User
Sep 9, 2003
US
[I've also entered this thread in PC Hardware General, I apologise if you see it in both places]

I've got a (essentially) obsolete program that still works better than anything else on the market. The company that produced it has been out of business since 1998. None of the "replacement" programs on the market today actually duplicate the entire functionality of this program and I really hate the idea of spending $20k for less than I already have (not to mention re-constructing 20 years worth of data).

The software requires a Dongle (Rainbow Technologies Sentinal SuperPro, SRB01617, 9437L01611) that has worked through Windows 3.1, 95, and 98. After "upgrading" to XP Pro, I get an error "The Bitlock Device is not attached".

I can print through it without any problem so I don't think it is fried or cocked.

Is there a known problem with Dongles in XP Pro that has a work around or a patch? Or does anyone have a work around?

I think it is just that XP Pro (along with XP Home, 2K and NT) don't permit user level software to access hardware devices directly. This is necessary in order to stop one particular application crashing the entire system.

If the updated drivers don't work, I would have one machine with 98 for running this software, and another XP Pro box for everything else - or make it dual boot.

John

I think you need updated drivers from Sentinal.

In addition, make sure in BIOS that the parallel port is set to "Standard" or "AT" or "PS/2" and not ECP or EPP.

Contact Rainbow.

You guys are awsome!!!

I downloaded the new drivers and I'm in business. I changed the port from ECP to bi-directional (PS/2) first, but that didn't work by itself. After installing the drivers, the printer was really slow, so I went back to ECP and it still works fine.

Thanks for your help.

David

That just showes the enormous quality of the Rainbow hardware, software and support. Used it for years, and only lightning could fry it. Was always replaced without any comment, and hardly ever failed.

HTH
TonHu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back