Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domestic VPN setup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm42

Technical User
Dec 11, 2003
GB
Hello

Is there an easy way to setup a home vpn server so that I can access my home network from anywhere?

Will this ONLY work with a static IP address?

Thanks in advance.

Hi sm42,

Depends,

how do you connect to the net? modem/router(brand?)?
you will need a VPN client or work device to vpn with.

if you want to create a VPN between home---work you can always inciate the traffic from home and set to keep it up, this way you don't need a fix IP at home.

Hope it helps

Niltinho
BEng,CCNA,MCSA,CNA

Linksys and other home routers support DDNS (dymanic DNS). Just get yourself a domain and register it with a DDNS provider and then you can connect from anywhere even though you have a dynamic IP address.

I use a broadband connection using a linksys router.

If I have several unix servers I want to access at home (i.e. unix servers behind the router) will DDNS allow me to connect to these unix servers via ssh?

DDNS will not allow you to access the servers but will allow you to setup a VPN connection based on a name instead of IP address. As your IP adress is subject to change the DDNS service will continually scan for the current IP address accosiated with your domain and update it as needed. When you VPN onto your network you should be able to access those machines. If you want to put them on the WEB then that will require something different. It all depends on the model of router you have as well. I think the WRT54G and similiar support DDNS. The older B routers I do not beleive had this feature.

Thanks.

Is there a painless way to set-up a VPN server from my home?
Many months ago someone said that Draytek have good routers which you can use as vpn termination points.

Not really sure on the SOHO equipment...we use Cisco which is typically not SOHO friendly for programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back