Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Users Accessing Windows 2003 Terminal Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGFFTW

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2005
US
I just built a Windows 2003 Terminal Server with Citrix
Presentation server 3.0. Any User in the Local Administrators group can logon through the Citrix Client.
Everyone else gets two error messages then rejected out of Terminal Servers. I already added Domain Users to the Remote Desktop Domain Builtin and local computer Groups.

Any Ideas? The Logon error messages are below.

Connection Error

The Desktop you are trying to open is currently available only to administrators. Contact your administrator to confirm that the correct settings are in place for your client connection.

Logon Message

To log on to this remote computer, you must have Terminal Server User Access permissions on the computer. By default,
members of the Remote Desktop Users group have these permissions. If you are not a member of the Remote Desktop Users group or another group that has these permissions, or if the Remote Desktop User group does not have these permissions, you must be granted these permissions manually.

You have to go into RDP Connection and Citrix Connection Manager and clear the run published applications only tick box.

[blue]Arguably the best cat skinner around ! [/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Ascotta,

Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately the solution you provided isn't the cause of the problem.

I checked the Remote Desktop Connection on my client and the one on the Citrix Server.

Run MFCFG from a command prompt and untick the option.

You may have to give users the ability to log on locally.

Cheers
Scott

When dealing with citrix, make sure the users have access to logon to terminal server first, if they can't, citrix won't work for them. Check the "terminal services configuration" snapin (under admin tools), check the permissions under RDP and ICA, make sure the domain users that need access, have access. Make a group for them if you want.

Users HAVE to be given the right to log on locally, you can find that in the local policy on the citrix server. And remove them from the local admin group if they don't need the rights. Users will be dropping the server over and over.

Is your citrix server a part of the domain or is it a standalone? Make sure it's part of the domain so the DC will control access.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

And have you a license serveer for 2003 TS Cals up and running ?

Cheers
Scott

THANK YOU ascotta !!!
This was driving me NUTS!

BTW, to clarify. The setting that ascotta is talking about is in the Citrix Connection Configuration (MFCFG),
-- Select the option to edit the ICA and RDP connection,
-- click the Advanced button
-- Look to the right for the section titled "Initial Program"
-- Uncheck the option to "Only launch Published Applications"

Click OK

It drove me nuts till I found it too.

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search