Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbeullens

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2007
BE
Have another problem...

Last week our NT4 Domain controller went flat. Old PIII server and he didn't move annymore. That sucked because it was the only DC in the network.

Solution? New domain :-s

So configured a 2003 server with AD to be DC of a new domain. I made the users and started to add the computers to this new domain. While changing the domain, I also changed computernames to a uniform name.

It worked fine, except for 2 PC's

They gave an error that the computername could not be changed. but entering the domain was a success, so I ignored it.

Afterwards I saw that the XP system has the new computer name (prompted to log on localy).

But now my big problem: If i try to log on from those computers to the domain it prompts something like " could not log on because domain x is unavailable"

Also logon to the local system fails...

Can I log on to this PC and HOW?

On monday those people must work again, and all data and settings are on it (ofcourse without recent backup)

Am i fucked or is there some hope left?

get a linux boot disk and change the local pwd
the user might still be able to logon with cached credentials
but you are still gonna have to get on a change the pwd

something john the ripper or such like

Thanks!

Worked!!!! I used Ultimate Bootdisc and it worked

I first tryd to reset the password to another one, and that didn't happen properly I guess (stil no logon)

But when I blanked the password it worked!

Now comes the next thing: migrating the old NT4 to a 2003 domain (will be something to I guess since AD and NT are no close mates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back