Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Server to File Server 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

spelltwister

Programmer
May 12, 2005
US
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if there is a way to use a current domain server as a file server.

Here's the idea. I have two domain servers, one named NTSERVER another named Magnium. On Magnium, users have their data to be backed up. NTSERVER handles their login. I want it so that once they log into NTSERVER that Magnium shows and we will eventually create virtual drives on there for each user to store his/her "stuff". I should have more information on this later in the week, but any ideas/questions should help us figure it out ;-D.

Thanks,

Mike

Any server can serve up files.

Easiest way is for each user go to their AD profile and map a drive to a users folder you setup and share on the server. This way the security will automatically allow only the users to access their own folders and not others.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Lander is right, simply create folders on magnum, set the proper AD permissions for the folders, enter their profile in AD and set their home drive to the \\magnum\username share and pick any available drive letter.

This will then show up on their "My Computer" display as a network drive.

Ok, more information... err, possible another angle, not really sure.

Is there a way that I can just turn off the domain serving options so that it is just a regular machine again?

We don't want to have to add each user to the different domain and copy all their files into that my documents folder and have mass chaos and panic.

More info to come, it seems that they keep changing their minds on what they want done. :-/

Thanks,

Mike

Online multiplayer strategy games huh? Try, 1483online.com where the games are FREE and the community drives enhancements to the game. ;-D

How many domains do you have? Are not NTSERVER and MAGNIUM on the same domain? If not, why not?

Please be a bit more specific on your setup here. If you have multiple domains, then yes, you have a problem unless you setup a trust between the domains. If you just have one domain with multiple domain controllers, then you're ok, just setup the shares on either server, set the security and move on to the next project.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you the network admin for this company? Or are you filling in in place of having one? These are pretty basic things you're dealing with here, so it helps us to help you if we understand better your technical level.

No, they are not on the same domain. This is because we had two domain controllers and the boeing people here needed to be separate from us so... we put them separate I guess. :-/

I'm the... do all the projects that everyone else doesn't wanna do guy. lol

I've never worked with this sort of thing, and yes, I would have known how to do it if they were indeed on the same domain, but alas, they are not.

So... I'm wondering if there's a way to make it no longer a domain server without reformatting.

I'll have more information soon, these guys keep chaning their minds on what they want and it seems that we might port everyone over to the magnum server and drop the ntserver out the window. Not sure yet though.

Thanks

Online multiplayer strategy games huh? Try, 1483online.com where the games are FREE and the community drives enhancements to the game. ;-D

There is a simple way to make a server a member server from a domain controller without reformatting or reinstalling. You run a command from the run command called dcpromo.

Be aware, if this is the only domain controller for this domain (forest) then users who have an account to log on will not be able to. If you have Exchange, it will probably kill it (no mail access or routing).

How big are the 2 domains (I.e. users, e-mail system, sites, servers etc)

You responses are only as good as the information you supply ;)

Good luck

"Assumption is the mother of all f#%kups!

I agree with lander215 and Andreh that we could use more info, like what are the 2 domain names, how many domain controllers in each, are you running Exchange, etc. But if I think I understand you, you want to make the Magnum server, which is a domain controller in what I assume is the Magnum domain, just a regular file server. If that is the case, then as Andreh said, run dcpromo to demote the domain controller. Again as Andreh said, if this is the only domain controller in that domain, you are basically wiping out that domain. It sounds like that is what you want to do. Then you are left with only the NTSERVER domain. What you'll want to do next is make the Magnum server a member of the NTSERVER domain. Let us know if you need help in how to do this.

But...if it is the only server in it's domain and there are users in that domain, you'll lose their accounts.

We need to know alot more here before we can offer any solid advice.

Yep, that's what I wanted. There will be no users on that machine anymore so we don't need them to have accounts on it. ;-D

Thanks a bunch!

If you're done with that domain, then yes, dcpromo it, read all the warnings about the domain going away, etc., and you'll be set.

If need be, you could then dcpromo the server into your other domain to act as another DC, but you don't have to. If you just want it to serve up files just add it to your domain and start sharing it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back