Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

domain security issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndog

Technical User
Apr 17, 2001
US
I have two different domains running on Windows 2003 server. While trying to access one of the servers from the other domain, I am able to simply go to Start->Run and type in \\server and the shares pop up with no authentication! This is driving me crazy because I have secured down the server in every way possible as far as security permissions and share permissions. I'm very confused about how I am able to just path right to the server without being asked to authenticate. Every other server that I path to on the domain asks for a username/password. Please help, any advice is a appreciated.

Have you checked the trust relationships in Active Directory?

try your security options in group policy

computer config\windows settings\security settings\local policies\security options

specific to your interest are going to be allow anonymous neumeration of sam accounts and share, allow anonymous enumeration of sam accounts, and do not allow anonymous

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging, MCSA03, A+
almost got a paragraph there :)

When I checked on my domain controller for the group policy, it gave me an error telling me it could not find a domain controller for the domain. It gave me three options to pick and I chose the one that said "The one with the operations master token for PDC emulator"
After going into AD, right clicking on domain, selecting properties, and then selecting the Group Policy tab, it shows up all gray with no options. I can't click on anything, so I'm wondering if my AD has gone corrupt. Please help!!

you have a DNS issue

that message alwasy stems form DNS problems

heres what you need to do:
Note-You wil lalso likely need to perform a d2/d4 process, if you have no clue what I'm talking about, I suggest you open a supprot case, but I will tell you how here

1. point pdc to himself and himself only for DNS, then restart the netlogon service
2. point all replica DCs to the PDC for preferred and themselves as alternates, then restart teh netlogon service
3. point all clients to the pdc for preferred and the replica DCs as alternates, then run ipconfig /flushdns & ipconfig /registerdns (or reboot)
4. look for morphed folders in the sysvol directory
5. find a good sysvol directory on one of the DCs, thsi DC will be our D4 box
6. if no good sysvol structures exist (missing information, etc.), stop ntfrs on teh machine we are going to d2 and correct teh sysvol structure to include all policies, scripts, etc.
6. stop ntfrs on all DCs
7. on the DC we are to D4, ensure FRS is still stopped...go to regedit and drill to HKLM\SYstem\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ntfrs\Bakcup/Restore\Process at startup, then change teh BurFlags value to d4 (keep ntfrs stopped)
8. on the otehr servers, cut data out of sysvol or delete contents completely (except for policies and scripts folders themselves, we jsut want all data gone from them)
9. On the other DCs, with ntfrs stopped. go to regedit and drill to HKLM\SYstem\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ntfrs\Backup/Restore\Process at startup, then change teh BurFlags value to d2 (keep ntfrs stopped)
10. start ntfrs on teh DC that we set to d4 (refresh teh registry screen and you will see teh d4 change back to 0)
11. start ntfrs on teh replica DCs and give them time to replicate, you will see teh d2 change to 0 in teh registry

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging, MCSA03, A+
almost got a paragraph there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back