Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain rights and local machines 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPR11

MIS
Oct 14, 1999
US
Is it possible to log into a NT domain and have the ability to write data to the local machines registry? Please help, our main NT guy left and we are struggling. Thanks.<br>
<br>
JPR11

As long as that user has administrative rights to the local machine, sure. That shouldn't be a problem. Of course that assumes the the local station is NT, server or workstation. But more to the point, Domain Security is not used here for the most part (although admins usually have administrative rights at the local level). Local security provides access to the local machine. <p>Jim Collin<br><a href=mailto:Jim@collin.cc>Jim@collin.cc</a><br><a href= Technologies</a><br>Consumer Technology Integration<br>

Just pick any NT machine. Log onto the domain as administrator. Start, run regedt32 to open the registry. Then FILE Select Computer and there you are.<br>
<br>
2 things though. Firstly, be careful - if your main NT guy left and you can't get into a remote registry; do you think you should? Secondly, editing the registry is a dangerous business - why do you want to do it?<br>
<br>
As for not having a main NT guy, you have better than the best NT guy. You have tek-tips and the legions of NT experts.<br>
<br>
And me. :)

1. Choose Start¦Run. The Run dialog box appears. <br>
2. Click Browse, and use the Browse dialog box to select the Registry Editor REGEDT32, located in the SYSTEM32 subfolder. Click OK. The Registry Editor is displayed. <br>
3. Choose Registry¦Select Computer. The Select Computer dialog box appears, as shown in Figure 1.3. <br>
4. From the Select Computer list, select the computer whose Registry you want to manage, and click OK. The Registry Editor connects to the remote computer, and a warning dialog box appears, advising that auto-refresh will not be available for the remote Registry. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_USERS subtrees are displayed. <br>
5. To exit from the remote computer Registry, choose Registry¦Close while one of the remote subtrees is selected. <br>
<br>
God's Love, <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:john@computerwiz.net>john@computerwiz.net</a><br><a href=

One thing I've read is the registry is pretty open securitywise by default and basic users to have the right to edit branches. I would suspect most admins don't catch this and it's not to well documentated. <br>
<br>
If your'e having trouble installing apps I bet it's tied to rights but for editing the registry i would be you can do it with out any trouble.

At the risk of going off at a slight tangent, can anyone recommend a good book or website that deals with registry editing in-depth?

For curiousity sake... what are you trying to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back