Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Rename

Status
Not open for further replies.

josboogz

Programmer
Mar 5, 2003
GB
Morning All,

Need some suggestions concerning domain renames please guys.
I have an isolated network of 2 DCs running Win server 2003 and 10 member computers running XP.

The setup remains fixed at all times, but would like the option of changing the name of the domain from time to time. E.g I would like to change the <name> of within the domain name, cs.<name>.uk.

I have looked at the Domain Rename operation, but due to the system setup we do not have access to a machine that would act as the control station (i.e. another PC not a domain controller that runs Windows Server 2003). Does anyone have ideas as to another way of how this could be done? It would also be useful for the renaming to be automated i.e run from scripts.

Thanks people,

J

I know this may sound long winded, but do you think its possible to depromote the second DC and use it as the control station, then promote it post Domain name rename?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back