Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

domain problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenatoServos

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2002
US
I'm with a problem in my hands.
I started to work at a company that uses " smart.net " as its internal domain and all the computer runs win2000 or xp and 2 server with 2000, and " smart.com" as its email addresses EX: "someone@smart.com" . But now they want to have an exchange server that holds the @smart.com in company for the internet (we are having problems with our Email provider.
I never worked with exchange2000 so my questions are:
Can I create an alias for the .com domain?
If I decommission one of the servers and make it a smart.com domain controller what would happen? (I guess that I will have some problem since to log in I only use "smart" as the domain...
and my last problem is:
I do not have an directly external nic card, we have a router with firewall that is our gateway to the internet , on witch I can forward port to the server internal IP. WILL it work, by just forwarding the pop3 and smtp ports to the server?
Do I HAVE to create the "smart.com" internally to be able to recive the email form that domain?
And we do not host the web server, but they (our web hosting provider) will forward the MX record to the external static IP.
Thanks for the input.

Assuming your internet MX records are configured properly...You don't have to create the domain internally, you just have to let the exchange server know that it's responsible for collecting mail directed at that domain.

In Recipient Policies. Edit the Default Recipient Policy to include the new domain.

Will try that as soon as my server comes back alive... thanks Bronto ( for this one and the other one 2)hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back