Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Policy for file and printer sharing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

stclsquid

Programmer
May 25, 2004
US
I am about to do a large scale install of SMS clients - around 300. None of the machines in my domain have file and print sharing enabled by default, so right now it is not possible to push the clients out. Is there a way to enable file and print sharing through the active directory group policy? Basically, without having to go to every single machine, can I enable it?

I have 300 windows 2000 clients
active directory is running on a windows 2000 box (going to go to 2003 soon
and sms 2003 is running on a windows 2003 machine.

Thanks for all of the help

Great site with great information

I ran the tool and it didn't seem to make any changes. Am I doing something wrong? - I unzipped it to a folder and double clicked the .bat file. A command box popped up, something was written in it and it closed. The file sharing box was not checked after a reboot.

I don't know about SMS 2003, but with SMS 2.0, you just had to have F & P installed - it did not need to be enabled.

Now I need F & P enabled (not just installed) for another app. I did not have any luck with the Rod Trent tool on Windows XP. Does anyone know how to enable F & P (either through Group Policy or SMS) on W2K Pro and XP Pro machines?

I used a batch file to call an app that would do the trick. I placed the file in the login script and it worked on about 9 out of 10 computers. On the rest, I installed it manually. I can email you the script and program if you would like.

stclsquid,

That would be great! I did not test the Rod Trent script on W2K, but I did not get it to work on Windows XP SP1.

Please use:

tech@NOSPAM.skylinegroup.com

(remove the NOSPAM.).

BTW, does it install AND enable F & P? Does it work if F & P is already installed, but not enabled? Is it O/S specific?

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back