Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Policies Not Sticking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKiTLz

Technical User
Aug 26, 2003
CA
Ok My domain policies arent sticking across the clients so I checked out the event viewer to see the Event ID: 1058 error. After searching the net it seems the solution is to enable to DFS Client via the registry on the clients.

Well of course this did nothing for me. I've also tried the other patches for smb etc and nothing. Everything I've found hasnt worked and frankly this is driving me nuts.

A server os based on XP and made for XP clients and yet XP clients cant even connect to the domain with normal functionality without going registry hunting?

I pitty anyone running a different client software as it doesnt even work out of the box for the OS it's intended. I have seen this is a prety common issue and also seen that just simply enabling the DFS Client doesn't fix it for alot of people.

If I don't have policie control etc I'll go back to using my NIX PDC setup.

Any help would be great before I start throwing stuff (most likely the Windows 2003 disc)

Thanks alot!

Jay

Did you check and see if the file and print sharing is on on the servers nic?

Is the DFS service started and set to auto on all your domain controllers? Do any of the DCs have multiple NICs?

Are there any errors in the FRS logs on the DCs? Is the TCP/IP Netbios helper service started on all clients and DCs?

Do you have the Everyone, Authenticated Users and Administrators groups in the "access this computer from the network" and "bypass traverse checking" user rights in your default domain controller policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back