Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

domain option requires root privilege???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 1999
US
I have two boxes with Linux. One has RH 5.2, Pentium 100Mhz and the other is a AMD K2 350Mhz running RH 6.0. The RH 5.2 box will let my user dial out, the RH 6.0 box will not. I compared all of the files and set everything to be exactly the same. I've setup my user with every permision I could select and am on every group I could think of.<br>
<br>
Root works great with PPP.<br>
<br>
My user account always gets this;<br>
/usr/sbin/pppd using the domain option requires root privilege<br>
<br>
I double checked (about 50 times) and my pppd is;<br>
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 120020 Apr 9 22:33 pppd<br>
<br>
What can I do now?<br>
What (silly simple thing) did I miss?<br>
<br>
Have Fun :)<br>
Sterling

It ends up there was an;<br>
<br>
.ppprc<br>
<br>
file in my users home directory. It was an exact copy of the /etc/ppp/options file. I removed it and all worked fine. I can get my user to bring the PPP up and down now, but only from the command line. For some reason it will not work using the various utilities from X. I tried Gnome-PPP (works in root) & also Xisp, which won't work at all now even in root (not the greatest loss but I would like to know how I broke it).<br>
<br>
Any ideas?<br>
<br>
Well, at least this is livable and my console script works very<br>
good.<br>
<br>
Have Fun :)<br>
Sterling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor