Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain names entries in Bind Setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinoteo

Technical User
Oct 2, 2003
SG
Hi Guys,

Just like to inquire something about Bind.

In BIND setup, the domain name entries are stored in the many db.xxxxx files. I would like to configure the BIND is a way that certain network segment can access and resolve the domain name is db.xxxxxA file but not db.xxxxxB file while another network segment can access db.xxxxxB file but not db.xxxxxA file. How should I configure that?

Hope someone could help me out on this.

Thanks in advance,
PS.

In the "Options" section usually you specify global settings about all the zones, which you have. For example the allow-query statement. It is also possible to include an allow-query in the definition of every zone which will override the allow-query in "Options". Let's assume that you want to let users from network 10.0.0.0/24 resolve names defined in the zone file "domain1.zone", and not resolve names defined in the zone "domain2.zone". Further the network 10.0.0.1/24 is allowed to resolve names in "domain2.zone", but not in "domain1.zone". Then you could write the following configuration:

Code:
zone "domain1" IN {
type master;
file "domain1.zone";
allow-query {10.0.0.0/24; };

}

zone "domain2" IN {
type master;
file "domain2.zone";
allow-query {10.0.0.1/24; };

}

In that way, for instance, if a user from network 10.0.0.0/24 tries to resolve a name within the domain ""domain2" they will get a "Query refused" response.

Jordan Jordanov
Network administrator
Faculty of German Engineering Education and Industrial Management
Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria

Oh, don't forget the semi-colons after the closing brace. This should look like this:

Code:
zone "domain1" IN {
type master;
file "domain1.zone";
allow-query {10.0.0.0/24; };

};

zone "domain2" IN {
type master;
file "domain2.zone";
allow-query {10.0.0.1/24; };

};

Sorry for the two posts, but I can't see an "Edit" button here.

Jordan Jordanov
Network administrator
Faculty of German Engineering Education and Industrial Management
Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria

Thanks Kreichek for the detailed information,

I will try it out.

Cheers,
PS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor