Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdgordon

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2002
US
When you have a websight ( that is hosted off site, is it best to give your in house domain a name the same as the website, (ie xxxx.com)or is it better to name it something like xxxx.local. IS there a consensus on this, what are the positives and negatives of each

Your inhouse domain name is what ever you want it since it is not accessed from the outside world (unless you want it to be). Since you have registered a pratice I like to use for ease of use is to just name your domain "xxxx.com". As long as you have your network set up correctly (IP Addressing, domain names, etc...) you can name it "dogfood.com" and still have as your registered domain name. DNS records are being pointed to the off-site website's IP, not you networks IP.

Hope this helps some, WMH
MCP+I, MCSE
smashfreakb.gif

I prefer naming your internal AD domain xxxx.local, because that way you don't have to worry about conflicting DNS address records or making any "two-faced" DNS configurations. If your webserver is and you're using publicly-accessible DNS for it, then the whole world will be able to view the addressing for your internal network. Also, if you use (say) dogfood.com, someone actually wanting to browse the real internet dogfood.com's website might get blocked, and a third reason would be why use a domain name that you might end up not having some day?
-Steve

.local or .home or .internal or .whateveryouwant

Just not .com, .net, .org, any of the other extensions InterNIC has recently bestowed on the 'net, or any of the 2-letter country codes. .local seems like it is developing into a standard.
-Steve

Ok.
Your internal domain name can be anything BUT make sure the internal main name is not taken in the Internet,just in case.
Second: I'd recommend you stick with the .com extension for your internal domain. Your web server, your company's internet presence FQDN has nothing to do with your internal domain name unless you choose to do so. This is demonstrated when you install exchange 2000 which adheres to use your internal domain name as default for email address suffix but you can modify the SMTP address within exchange system manager to reflect your company's internet name, or whatever the MX record is.

Also, your web server might already be using an ISP DNS svr. Whihc might mean u are taking hosting any EXTERNAL DNS SERVER for that web server, it's completely outsourced. being that the case, you install your own internal DNS svrs that can forward name resolution to the ISP servers.

Good Luck!

all i'm going to hav in house is a w2k server with 40 w2k pro pc's. my one w2k server is going to be dns as well. I'll set it up to forward to real dns servers on web. the dns servers i use happen to be the dns servers of the compay hosting our web sight.
I think i'll use .local
do you foresee any problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back