Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain name/Website address issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcleodal

Technical User
Feb 8, 2005
GB
I have a network with the domain name example.co.uk

Hosted externally to this network, I have a website of
Internal to the network I cannot view the website. External to the network, I can view the website.

I was thinking this was because the domain name is the same as the website name and when typed into IE, the PC is looking locally for the web address.

Is it possible to set DNS on the server to point to the IP address of the web server?

Or would I have to rename the domain?

i gather the web server is not on your local network??

in this case, add a host record to your internal DNS.

this record will be should have the externel IP address of the web server hosting your site.
Does it host any other sites??

Aftertaf

"Resolve is never stronger than the night before it was never weaker

Aftertaf,

Thanks for that, it worked. This also works by adding the IP address of the Web server to the root hints tab on the properties page of the server within DNS.

I have a Windows 2003 server, running IIS6, and I have a new web page that needs to be seen on the Internet. I can type in [] and see the web site in our Intranet. I had our Telcom Group add the IP address that we want the web page to bind to, but cannot see the page from the Internet. I added DNS entries in the reverse lookup zone, and pointed it to the IP/Host in the Forward Zone. Why can't I see it? Any clues?

cmiddl1, you should start a new post for help on your problem. I'm sure we can figure it out. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"Trust time, for it tends to provide sweet ways out when facing bitter difficulties"
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (1547-1616), Spanish writer
Tek-Tips in Chicago IL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back