Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

domain name to point to internal dns ser

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablobsd

Technical User
Nov 12, 2002
CA
what entry do i need to put in my dns server to get it to resolve my domain from outside ... i purchase a domain but they does not have a dns server so i have to point it to my own.

sorry forgot to put os ... running freebsd 5.2 with bind 9.2.3 .. works fine internally but needs to resolve external

Probably need to have port 53 open from the outside. Additionally, your domain registration needs to have at least one of the DNS server entries point to the IP address your DNS server is resolving to.

i have done that and by settingup up ns1.mydomain.com and put the ip address public .. i also have port 53 open and forwarded to my private bsd box im also able to telnet to it ... i need to know if i need any ptr to point to my public ip as it is behind a router.

thanks for the tip
Paul

That should be it .. If that doesn't work, then we need to troubleshoot. Can you put a computer on the outside of your firewall with a fixed IP address, and the IP address of the only DNS server set to the IP address on your firewall - the firewall that you have configured to forward port 53? After you do that, try pinging any of the host names in your DNS database and see if a number gets resolved.

i'm still waiting for reply from my registrar bcs when si lookup my domain from whois it's showing there dns server and not showing the one i registered

Thanks
Paul

Hi
Sorry i took so long to reply but i tried reinstalling everything from scratch... my domain registrar final update my dns info to point to my server but i'm still not sucessful in accessing from outside .. i don't want to leave it too long with direct connection bcs my log showing me several people trying to log in to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back