Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Name Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeyj2

Programmer
Jun 7, 2007
US
Hi,
I'm not sure if this post is better suited for a different forum, but here goes.

How can I get my domain name to resolve with just its domain name?

Suppose my website is How can I get my page to still resolve if the user types the following:
- widgets1234.com OR
-
I have been told that I need to goto my registrar where I bought the domain and I have been told that I need to contact a "global agency".

I'd like either one of the above to still goto my site, but I either get taken to another MSN listing-type page or I get "Page Could Not Be Found".

What is it I need to do? Is there something special that I need to request from my registrar?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

mickeyj2

Request that they update the DNS entry for your domain to include a mapping for the domain to the CNAME www

If they are struggling to understand what you need, then it's time to find another host.

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Blog [!]@[/!] CodeRambler
[/tt]

Make sure your web page and css validates properly against the doctype you have chosen - before you attempt to debug a problem!

FAQ216-6094

Hi BabyJeffy,

Thanks for the feedback. Ok, here's what I found out. I contacted my web host and they were able to get the pages to resolve " and "widgets1234.com".

They had me clear my cache, but that didn't help.

Next, they had me goto this proxy-checking site. When I typed in these two domains, I was able to get to my page.

My host then suggested that it might be an inner networking issue and they want me to check my proxy settings with my network administrator.

Sure enough, if I try to access the internal IP address, then I can't get to the page.

I'm starting to think this is an internal issue. Could I be correct on my assumption? If so, what would I need to ask my network administrator to check? Do I need to ask him to verify that this IP is not blocked?

Thanks in advance for any help.

mickeyj2

How about calling some friend who use a different network and ask them to see if they manage to resolve those domains?

Not forgetting that, if search engine results are important to you, and IFyour hosting Co figures out how to make it work (probably highly unlikely given the technical abilities of a lot of hosting companies). You will then need to use a permanent redirect (301) to ensure only one version is indexable.

As well as the DNS entry you need to tell the server to respond to both version, how depends on the server technology.

For IIS a hostheader needs to be added to the site configuration.

For Apache a VirtualHost entry needs adding to the httpd.conf file and Apache restarting

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back