Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Name login

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevieh

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2001
GB
We have a Windows 2000 Server that is also our Primary Domain controller, the name of our domain is flowline.local

The Server is also our DHCP and DNS Server.

If I look at the leases on the DHCP Server I notice that some users are logged in on the Flowline.local domain, but others are logged in on the Flow-Line.net domain, which is another domain used in the DNS Server.

I would realy appreciate it if someone could explain to me how it is possible for some users to be logged in on the Flow-Line.net domain as this is not the name of the Primary Domain.

Steveh24

Users are logging into the domain using netbios domain name...not the fully qualified domain name. Flowline is very similar to flow-line, so, I guess some users are picking the wrong netbios name when they login.

Apparently, they must have users accounts in both domains...

Sounds like more of a questionable initial setup design, then an actual problem on your network.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Thanks Jpoandl

Something I didn't explain was that when the PDC was configured we didn't specifically need to use a valid domain name so as Microsoft suggested, you can use any name followed by .local, hence Flowline.local

At this point if I looked at the DHCP Leases all users were logged into the Flowline.local domain, which is as I would have expected.

However, in the following weeks we did register a domain called Flow-Line.net and made a few entries into the DNS Server, this was done so that our SIP PBX could function correctly and this is when I noticed some users were logged in on the Flow-Line.net domain, but couldn't understand why.

I'm also not sure of the implications for those users who are not logged into the Flowline.local domain

Steve

is there any AD or trust between these 2 domains?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
everything in life is a learning experience.....everything.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back