Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

domain log on problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2005
US
Hello,

I have a major problem which I hope someone can help. I have an user who has a Dell 620 machine with 1gb of RAM using xp pro sp2. When he tries to log onto the domain he always get an error message stating that he can not log on. I have to go to the computer detach it from the domain then reattach it to get him to log onto the domain. At first I thought his old computer and his new one had the same name so I changed the name of the computer. He is still having the problem. I just found out that he was having the same problem with his old machine also. I was wondering if it is an error with XP or is it something else.

Thanks,
Malik

Malik
where your problems are our solutions!!

Could you post the exact wording of the error message?

By the way, your signature gives the following motto for your business:

Which I take to mean that I would not have problems if it had not been for your solutions!!

If he had the same problem with the old PC, I would try deleting and then recreating his profile. Also, are the IP address static or do you use a DHCP server?

How about try "Where your problems make us salute!!"
or "Where our solutions are your problem!!"
or "Where you're a problem. Any solutions??"

Just a few ideas.

LMFAO!
Which I take to mean that I would not have problems if it had not been for your solutions!!
Rare form today Bill? Took me minute due to my age but I got it!

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

Cannot logon to domain or local computer
thread779-914683

Windows XP Login Problem
thread779-103636

Anything in the Event Viewer/ Security log?

Logon Failure Error Codes Legend:
Error Code Hexadecimal Cause
3221225572 C0000064 User logon with misspelled or bad user account
3221225578 C000006A User logon with misspelled or bad password
3221225581 C000006D User logon has incorrect user name
3221225583 C000006F User logon outside authorized hours
3221225584 C0000070 User logon from unauthorized workstation
3221225585 C0000071 User logon with expired password
3221225586 C0000072 User logon to account disabled by administrator
3221225875 C0000193 User logon with expired account
3221226020 C0000224 User logon with "Change Password at Next Logon" flagged
3221226036 C0000234 User logon with account locked

mpnut - I am using a static IP address and there is no conflicts on the network.

Linney - I will go and check the event log and tell you the error code.

Bcastner - as for the exact error message I am not sure but will double check. I think it is - Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable or because your computer account is not found. Please try again later."

Also where your problems are out solutions mean just that you have a problem and we will figure out the solutions. LOL

I will post the error message in a couple of hours
Malik

Malik

1. You may receive the following error message: "Windows cannot connect to the domain either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable or because your computer account was not found."

2. You may receive Event ID 5723: "The session setup from the computer Computername failed to authenticate. The name of the account referenced in the security database is Computername. The following error occurred: Access is denied."

3. Or Event ID: 3227, Event Source: NETLOGON: "The session setup to the Windows NT or Windows 2000 domain controller \\Server for the domain Domainname failed because \\Server does not support signing or sealing the Netlogon session. Either upgrade the domain controller or set the RequireSignOrSeal registry entry on this machine to 0."

To resolve this issue, open Local Security Policy from Administrative Tools. Under the Local Policies\Security Options node, double-click the Domain Member:Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always) policy to open it and click Disabled.

Do you have a DNS server? If so, you may need to delete it from the DNS and let it recreate. Also, are there any special characters in the PC name?

mpnut - no special characters in the pc name.

The event log error is 40961 and source is lsasrv. When I looked it up it has something to do with Kerberos. I found something in google groups about it. They are saying something about the RPC - remote procedure call and stopping it. They are also saying to reset the security channel.

How do you feel about that. Let me know pls.

Thanks

Malik

Sir,
Can you or administrator log on from that workstation?

What is the server's OS?

Regards,
David.

PS. Sorry for the smart remark about your motto.

Malik,

There is a Forum on Tek-Tips for discussing professional communications. I asked for comments for your business motto, and there are some you might consider.

See: thread1256-1265347

Ok, make your user a new account on the server. DO NOT delete the old account, just make the new account slightly different ie: malik2 instead of malik

Have your client login using the new account and see if the problem still arises.

Let us know...

David.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back