Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain laptop, connect to Home Network Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghloid

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2002
US
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had heard of any type of sofware, or configuration details which would make it possible to print to a shared printer on a home network from a computer which is on a domain. To be more precise, I have a wireless Dell Latitude D505 laptop, running Win XP Pro (SP 1) which I take home on occasion for work. The laptop is configured to run on our domain at work, but of course you can simply log into the computer itself at the logon. The thing is, I have a home network as well, with 2 shared printers. Is there a way I can connect to these resources without reconfiguring the computer to go onto that workgroup? It would be a bit of a pain to constantly have to switch domain to workgroup and vice versa again, just to print at home (workgroups I find are rather finiky when you first join them).

I would think there would be some more simpler way of achieving this. I can access the nice wireless network at home with no problems from the Linksys wireless router, but I realize that is another network resource. Perhaps there's some way to set a printer up on the router?? Don't know, just guessing.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

THANKS!

. logon at home identicly to the way you logon at work
. Start, Run, and type \\name_of_print_server_computer
. double-click the printer_share that appears and run the Add printer wizard

thanks bcastner. I'll try that when I get a chance. Right now, I'm away from my home network, but that seems to sound right. So, I DON'T have to reconfigure the computer to run on my home network, right? I just choose to logon to the computer (can't logon to the work network, because obviously I'm not there), then I try that RUN command technique.

I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back