Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain different than mail domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICH3

MIS
Jun 19, 2003
CA
I am having a frustrating issue with mail being returned from certain mail providers such as AOL. I have a company network domain lets call it company1.com. Due to some legal issue related to a partners death the comapny name has changed. Rebuilding the complete domain was not an option so i altered the default recipient policy to include company2.com. The internal domain is still comany1.com. The mail has worked well for the past year with this configuration but recently anything sent to AOL or hosted by AOL gets returned due to the fact that the mail server name is company1.com and the email is company2.com. There is a reverse DNS in place that points to the external IP of the firewall. The error from AOL is that the server domain does not match the mail domain. Any suggestions on a workaround would be appreciated.

If you open the properties of your 'SMTP Virtual Server'. Go to the 'Delivery' tab and then click on 'Advanced' (at the bottom. There is a field there labelled 'Fully-Qualified Domain Name'

it probably has the FQDN of Company1 at the moment.

Windows and NT Admin.

Thank You very much for the response. I am not always on site so I will be taking a look at this the first chance I get. I am sure this is the issue and will report back.

Also make sure you have a reverse DNS entry for your IP address. AOL is notorious for not allowing mail if there is no rDNS.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back