Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

msyam

Technical User
Nov 20, 2001
MY
Hi,
My network now is without pdc n bdc due to both (winnt 4 server) totally down. after configured pdc, there seemed to be conflict in security identifier between workstation n pdc.

event viewer shows 5719 / netlogon - no windows nt domain controller is available for domain. this event is expected and can be ignored when booting with the no net hardware profile..

do i need to rebuild again my pdc from scratch?..can i rebuild the server to first become the bdc before promoting it to become pdc..?

really need help on this...

Just building a new PDC and giving it the same domain name will not work. You would have to recreate all you user accounts and reset all permissions as you are basically creating a new domain.

Do you not have a back up of your servers?

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

HI.

> My network now is without pdc n bdc due to both (winnt 4 server) totally down
It is important to try finding out the cause of the problem.
For example, if it crashed because of a virus like Blaster/Welchia then you can take some actions. If a malicious attacker has done it, then some additional actions.

> ... after configured pdc, ...
What exactly have you done?

If you cannot recover the original system, then you can try reinstalling a new server, then restoring the REGISTRY from backup.

Anyway - you should keep a copy of the original hard disk unmodified so that you can recover files from it if needed.

Bye

Yizhar Hurwitz

To Andyleates,
Do you mean the backup domain controller or is it application that do backup of the server? If it's the latter, then I don't know what to say. The backup application wasn't running / activated by the person responsible for it. I couldn't find anything in backup system. If it's first one, the BDC is now in conflict with the newly setup PDC.

The new PDC, I already recreated all user accounts ( all in default - not in full detail as the original accounts ) n reset all permissions before it shows conflict with BDC, other servers n workstations. If to proceed from here, what next steps for me to do? Will there be a lot of things I need to reconfigure..?

Should I promote the BDC to be temporary PDC? Then after I rebuild the former PDC to become BDC & synchronize with temp PDC, to disconnect temp PDC & promote new BDC to become new PDC .. Can I do that? Will this work as in this case, I will only 'play around' with 1 or 2 servers (PCD n BDC).

To Yizhar,
1st que : it's harddisk failure. Totally cannot recover back the data files or anything in it now. Have tried to use various methods..even the unconventional way to recover it ( put hdd in ice fridge to cool off few hours, then tried to read n recover data, managed to get few files only) n that files not related to user accounts database, registry etc. after that, cannot use anymore. Then request to exchange new hdd from vendor.

2nd que : pls refer to second paragraph above. What do you mean by restoring registry from backup? Do you mean from BDC or from backup application?.. if it's backup application, cannot do that now. ..

hope my explanation is clear....
(-:

The simplest thing you can do here is promote the BDC to be the PDC as you've mentioned in paragraph 3. This path will save you the most effort/grief for now.

HI.

> Should I promote the BDC to be temporary PDC?
Yes indeed.
If it is the original BDC, then yes, it should be promoted to PDC.
The original PDC should be installed as a BDC, synchronizing with the promoted server. Later after it works and you wish then you can switch hats back between them.

Check the Event Viewer on both servers and look especially for NETLOGON related messages.

Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back