Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain controller problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

azdolt

MIS
May 20, 2002
US
Hi,

We have a W2k server, and we are running Exchange 2000 on it. The other day the electrician ask us to shut down all the computers to work on the power, when he was done, we power on the server and then none of the local machine can logon, it give the error "No domain controller to verify your password" here are the facts:

1) the w2k server is connected to the network and all the client can ping the w2k server IP

2) Exchange server runs fine, remote user can send/receive email, even outlook web access works.

3) we have mapped a directory as drive "F" on the server, when I try to access that network drive on the server, it will take a very long time to update. If I do it locally ie: c: blah blah blah, it is very quick.

4) we even tried installed service pack 3 and update the NIC driver to lastest driver, no help.

5) Nothing changed on the clients, when user logon to "Windows Network" it ask for Username, password and domain.

6) when I go: Programs -> Administrative tools -> Domain Controller Security Policy, it will give me an error "Group Policy Error: Failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have appropriate rights. Details: The Network path was not found."

Based on all the fact I believed there is some part of the Active Directory is corrupted/changed somehow. We ran "ntdsutil" and "eseutil" and it didn't find any corruption.

I admin I have hitted a wall on this one so any help would be greatly appericated.

Rgds,
Alan.

Are you using Wins? ARe you using Microsoft's DNS. Are the DNS/Wins servers pointing to themselves for Wins and DNS resolution in the properties of TCP/IP. Are the internal clients pointing to the internal DNS servers for resolution? Do you have an IP conflict? What do your event view logs say?

This is necessary info to help you.

thanks!

Is this already resolved?

Did you check and see if the proper services were running? We had a similer problem during a server reboot, we did something called an Offline Defrag of Active Direcotry.

>Are you using Wins?
No.
>ARe you using Microsoft's DNS.
I must to run Exchange 2000
>Are the DNS/Wins servers pointing to themselves for Wins and DNS resolution in the properties of TCP/IP.
yes, local as primary and ISP DNS as secondary
>Are the internal clients pointing to the internal DNS servers for resolution?
Yes, in addition to that I also have a entry in the hosts file.
>Do you have an IP conflict?
no.
>What do your event view logs say?
The only one that I see is abnormal is "Process MAD.EXE. All Domain Controller Server in use are not responding"
The w2k server itself is the ONLY domain controller on the network, when I run "dcpromo" it will only allow me demote it to a stand alone server. It seems to me that the AD somehow doesn't know itself is the domain controller.

Alan.

Make sure your DC is still advertising itself as a Global Catalog server.

Also make sure the sysvol voluke is shared on the DC. This needs to be shared for NETLOGON to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back