Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain Controller OS rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

JYDPYT

MIS
Nov 10, 2009
US
Hello, I am in a bit of jam. I need to rebuild/reload Server 2003 on our Secondary DNS Server. This server also acts as the main file server. It has two logical partitions, 1 for the OS (C) and 1 for the shared folders (D). It is running Server 2003 Service Pack 1 on an HP Proliant DL 380 G4. Symantec Backup Exec is/was running on it and was un-installed along with MS SQL. The un-install of these two apss included editing the registry. Yeah, I know. The server is running fine, but the registry, I believe is so banged up at this point, I'm guessing re-loading the OS partition will be the quickest way to get a at least a fresh look to install the SQL and Backup Exec apps. I've never done a re-install of a DC/DNS server and really my main concern is keeping the data drive (Shared Folders) in tact as well as being able to use the same computer name. Is this possible? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, James

When you say the registry is banged up are you geting errors? If the server is running fine then why fix something when it isn't broke. If you do need to do a re-image then promote another 2003 server as a DC and it will copy all domain info to it and demote the other.

As for the re-image if your server is partitioned then only install the OS on C and D will be fine.

Thanks for the quick responses. We do have another DC that is the primary DNS. The reason I say that I think the registry is banged up is because the Symantec and SQL un-install did not apparently go well. The registry was editted extensively to remove keys, values, etc. We are now unable to install SQL or Symantec correctly. There are no registry errors and the server is running fine, but how can i get to a point where i can install the SQL and/or Symantec app without re-install of the OS? I'm really at my wits end on this one.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back