Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domain controller Migration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olusayo

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2005
NG
Hi all,

Can anybody tell me how I can migrate Windows 2003 Active directory Services from one server to another.

Thanks.

Leke

do not understand what you mean. Do you mean the FSMO roles? If you want another server to be a DC then just run DCPROMO.
I think you need to expand on this question for me.

Cheers

MCSE NT4, 2000, 2003

Thank you,

Im currently running MS active directory services on one of windows 2003 servers (Domain Controller).

I want to demote this server and migrate the entire ADS database (DNS,DHCP, OUs, users, System files, data script, services, basically everything that is running on the server) to another server.

This new server will now be functioning as the original domain controler.

Thank you very much.

Leke

You can do this easily, promote the new server using DCPROMO. Shut down old Domain Controller and disconnect permanently. You must then use the NDSUTIL utility to promote the Master Domain Controller Roles to the new server. There are around 5 roles to assign.

There is a little more to this than just running DCPROMO on each server.

You will first want to inventory the old server and duplicate any services it runs ont he new server. DHCP, DNS, WINS, printers, file shares are all things to watch out for.

If it is an Exchange box, you will also need to migrate mailboxes and don't forget about directing mail to the new server.

I prefer to transfer FSMO roles before taking down the server. This is a matter or personal taste, I feel it is more secure as I can troubleshoot easier when all servers are still up and running if anything goes wrong. Use the GUI to transfer the roles or use NTDSUTIL (GUI is easier)

Refer to
for steps to transfer the roles.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the information.

I want to know wether i should make the new server a child domain or new domain in the forest.

I actually want to create exact image of the original domain controller on the new server (New domain controller).

Thanks for the time.

Olusayo.

Make it an additional server in an existing doman then follow the instructions above regarding seizing the FSMO roles and duplicating the services.

You can have many DC's in the same Domain.

Iain

Exactly, by making it an additional DC in the existing domain the AD will be duplicated and you will not loose domain memberships with the client PCs and you will not have to recreate the user objects. You can't make it a member of a child domain if you are going to remove the only DC in what would then be the root domain.

Regards,

Mark

I want to say a BIG thanks to you Spirit and my solution provider (Markdmac).

You guys have given me 100% solution to my problem.

Thanks Markdmac for always happy to help profer accurate soluton to all of my problems, you are such a kind guy.

Olusayo.

theres a lot of love going on here!!!!!!

MCSE NT4, 2000, 2003

Before you shut down your old domain controller, you should transfer any FSMO roles from it to the other computer. There are 5 roles and a global catalog to consider. If the old server was the first domain controller in your domain, it will hold all 6 by default. For the global catalog, you simply add that role to another Domain controller (more than one can exist); the FSMO's must be transfered.

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Excellent point about the GC role Seaspray. I forgot to mention that.

Regards,

Mark

AD sites and services. IN NTDS Settings right click and somewhere around there is a checkbox for Global catalog

MCSE NT4, 2000, 2003

Hi All,

I just lost the first domain controller in a domain. Though I have another DC that is load balancing for the crashed one.

I have tried everything to restore the system but the fails to boot.

What can I do to reintate directory service database that was running on it before it crashed.

I will appreciate all your asssitance.

Thanks you very much.

Olusayo

If you have another DC then you just need to let it replicate. If you don't have another DC then you need to do an authoritative restore.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I have another DC in that domain that is load balancing for the crashed domain.

My problem is how to sieze the role and restore the crashed the ADS.

I will appreciate information on how to go about this.

Once again thank you.

I'm greatfull to you all,

I've been able to seize the five roles from the crashed DC.

Now I have all those roles running on the second DC.

I have also promoted a newly installed windows 2003 enterprise server to DC.

The problem I face now is how to put the newly installed DC back to its previous position (ie.Global Catalog, and FSMOs.

Once again, I appreciate your contributions so far.

Omotomilola.

You would just need to rebuild that server and DCPROMO it back in and repeate the steps you did for the new server. I suggest bringing that server back in with a new name to keep it clean.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back