Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

domain controller for the domain could not be contacted

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuedge

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
US
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Toshiba Laptop with Windows XP Pro built into it. I'm trying to add the computer to our domain by doing the following

right click my computer - properties

choose computer name, then network ID.

i then say its part of a business network and choose join a company with domain.

after it asks me for a windows account from the domain i get the following error:

"A domain controller for the domain DOMAIN_NAME could not be contacted. Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly"

I've tried various different administrative accounts to try to connect to the domain but i get the same error.

could anybody please help?

regards..

NuEdge

Have you try the other way. click on change intead of network ID and select member of domain and enter in your network domain name.

Okay, I have seen this before. I had a network with 5 XP Pro machines that needed to connect to the server. I had to do the add to domain but instead of just putting in the domain name because it was not a public dns listing, it was an in house server, connected to the internet thru a cable modem, I had to enter domainname.local so if your domain name is OFFICE you would enter OFFICE.local so that the XP computer did not go out to the internet and look to resolve the domain name publicly.

Good luck

If u don't use DHCP, try giving the machine an IP address first. We've had it do strange things like that... Scotsdude[bravo]
Help us help you - let us know when our insane scribblings help!!

Add the machine to WORKGROUP first. Reboot. Then come back and add to DOMAIN. Reboot. This works for me. "Scientists have proven that living actually causes death."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back